How much wine do you make? (2023)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much wine do you make per year?

• 1 to 5 gallons / 4 to 19 liters

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 6 to 10 gallons / 23 to 38 liters

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 11 to 25 gallons / 42 to 95 liters

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • 26 to 50 gallons / 98 to 189 liters

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • 51 to 75 gallons / 193 to 284 liters

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • 76 to 100 gallons / 288 to 379 liters

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 101 to 150 gallons / 382 to 568 liters

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 51 to 200 gallons / 572 to 757 liters

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 200+ gallons / 758+ liters

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With 51 voting (so far), 40% of our membership makes 26 to 50 US gallons / 98 to 189 liters each year. That's roughly 10 to 20 cases.

Over 80% make between 11 and 75 gallons / 42 to 284 liters, roughly 5 to 30 cases.

When talking about gallons or liters, I don't really visualize the numbers. A 19 or 23 liter carboy doesn't look like much, nor does a 54 liter demijohn. But when we see 5 cases of wine sitting in boxes, it makes the visualization clear.

As discussed previously, most non-winemakers rarely have more than a case of wine on hand, and the least amount made (according to this survey) is 4.5 cases. Some members have mentioned bottling 700+ bottles in one session.

I find enjoyment in the reaction when explaining these numbers to non-winemakers. ;)

Darn, makes me feel like a drunk, as I'm 1 of 3 in the 151-200 group. I only give away about 60 bottles a year, so wife & I really enjoy wine. How I have time for Wild Turkey I have yet to figure out.

You either need automation or a bunch friends to bottle 700+. I just bottled 90 today when I got tired of it. About 45 scheduled for tomorrow. Brings me down to about 3/4 capacity, but I have 2 FWK's in route. Whew, the sight of empty carboys signals that I might run out and have to go to Trader Joe's. And yes, I do have a nipple on the carboys. :D

You either need automation or a bunch friends to bottle 700+.
No argument from me. Bottling 1 or 2 carboys by myself is about as much fun as I prefer to handle. When my son helps, which is most of the time, bottling 3 to 5 carboys is reasonable.

The biggest factor is container size. If all wine is in 19 or 23 liter carboys, it's possible to pick-n-choose which ones to bottle, so bottling can be managed.

However, when the container size is larger, e.g., 55 liter demijohns or barrels, that job jumps from 2/2.5 cases to triple that.

Thinking about 110 to 220 liter (30 to 60 US gallon) barrels? Wow! The 110 is doable with 2 people (we bottle two 54 liter barrels on the same day), but the 220's? I'd need more friends!

With 51 voting (so far), 40% of our membership makes 26 to 50 US gallons / 98 to 189 liters each year. That's roughly 10 to 20 cases.

Over 80% make between 11 and 75 gallons / 42 to 284 liters, roughly 5 to 30 cases.

When talking about gallons or liters, I don't really visualize the numbers. A 19 or 23 liter carboy doesn't look like much, nor does a 54 liter demijohn. But when we see 5 cases of wine sitting in boxes, it makes the visualization clear.

As discussed previously, most non-winemakers rarely have more than a case of wine on hand, and the least amount made (according to this survey) is 4.5 cases. Some members have mentioned bottling 700+ bottles in one session.

I find enjoyment in the reaction when explaining these numbers to non-winemakers. ;)

I often chuckle the first time someone walks into my basement and sees this. Sometimes I earn them that my wife and I make a little wine downstairs, but sometimes I don't.
IMG_20180126_170234.jpg

Nice racks. Did you build them yourself?
Thanks.

No I didn't build them. They came from ebay or amazon mostly and one came from somewhere else. The somewhere else one is better, as in stronger, but probably twice as expensive.

As I recall they were about $100 to store 12 cases. Factoring in my time and materials it was cheap enough.

That is excellent! - Wish we had basements in TX, but then I'd whine about the cold.
My house doesn’t have a basement so I built a 1000 sq ft shop with a dedicated winemaking and storage area. I think the original owner was going to put in a basement but hit very large boulders so I have a four foot high crawl space. I built the shop when I was still young enough to build it myself and materials were still cheap.

My. first year I made 50 gallonss. second year, 100 gallons, 3rd year 100, this year the goal is 1000 gallons but ironically, I don't drink. alcohol ever. I started because a friend wanted me to learn and teach them, I gave away many bottles but people started wanting to. buy. so second year I. sold everything. then started planning on going commercial. I get very funny reactions when I tell people I don't drink

I get very funny reactions when I tell people I don't drink
My niece's husband doesn't drink, yet he's the lead on their winemaking, probably a 55/45 split, as she is tightly involved. He's entertained by winemaking, but will never taste the fruits of his labor.

My. first year I made 50 gallonss. second year, 100 gallons, 3rd year 100, this year the goal is 1000 gallons but ironically, I don't drink. alcohol ever. I started because a friend wanted me to learn and teach them, I gave away many bottles but people started wanting to. buy. so second year I. sold everything. then started planning on going commercial. I get very funny reactions when I tell people I don't drink
I find taste is a good tool for analysis during fermentation, and of course for back sweetening and blending. Do you find the no alcohol rule limiting in your winemaking hobby?

Pfft, I find the no alcohol rule limiting to life in general.

From James Crumley:

“Son, never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They’re the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They’re usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they’re a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can’t trust a man who’s afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It’s damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he’s heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.”

This is not a comment upon member Winechef, who has every right to chose not to drink.

I live in China and have a legal license, rules are different than US. my small batches 50 liters or less are for experimenting new blends, gauging the market and building the brand. the large batches and the distilled liquors that I make are through a larger factory and use their license. I just prepare everything and supervise. I process fruit and build the flavor of the must before sending to them.

I don't drink but I taste the must before adding yeast. I can tell the pH and the specific gravity quite accurately without equipment. however of course I use equipment for accuracy. frankly smell tells a lot. I do have a team of wine experts and professionals when balancing and adjusting mid stage and I do taste mouth feel before bottling and rinse out my mouth. I used to drink and have a refined pallette, just quit drinking 30 years ago.

just don't get high on my own supply

Latest posts

Back