how much solution to put in a 3 peice airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lednugenna

Junior
Reaction score
I feel pretty stupid but all my air locks thus far have been the S- shaped ones. They have two lines so you know how far to fill them. The new ones I ordered are the 3 piece type. I just wanted to try both types. They came assembled so thats not a problem but I am not sure how much solution to put in them.
Anne

I do not like those as they do not bubble so you cant tell whats going
on without using your hydrometer every other day. But, what I did when
I used them was take it out of the bottle, fill it all the way, then
put the cap back on and it will overflow what doesnt fit.

Like Masta says, about half full or so. If you don't overfill them, you can watch the center plastic bell bubble up and drop as the bubbles escape- almost as entertaining as the air bubbles through the S. I find flies in the three piece more often than the S ones, so I use the Sones most of the time.

I only use the 3 peice airlocks and all of mine have a fill line 1/2 way up.

There are some "new"?? silicone no water air locks. I have some coming in the mail. Has anyone used them?

I have a few and don't really use them much since you must have faith in them sealing well. You also need to dry the opening of the carboy well or they will pop right out.

AAASTINKIE said:
I only use the 3 peice airlocks and all of mine have a fill line 1/2 way up.

I was going to say the same thing. I have a dozen or so 3 piece locks. Every one of them has a fill line on them. Mine bubble to just like the S tube locks if there is active fermentation going on. Once you get used to them, itisn't hard to tell when fermentation is slowing down. You may not have the bubble but you can tell by looking at the inner cap if it is dropping or not. I have both types and normally will reach for a 3 piece before an S type.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Like Smurfe said, fill it to the line. You may have to look hard for the line, but it should be there. I really like the 3-piece because you can get to all parts of it for cleaning.

Thanks for the help. I think I like the S type better.It is much easier for me to see if there is any pressure but I am glad that I at least tried these. And they are shorter so some of my jugs will fit on a shorter shelf only with these 3 piece ones. Thanks
Anne

Latest posts

Back