RJ Spagnols How much F pack in Chardonnay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintner

Junior
Reaction score
Next weekend I am going to start a RJS International Series Chardonnay. I seem to remember reading that it is best to not add all of the F pack to make a more dry wine. How much of the F pack should I add? I have heard anywhere from half to all. Any advice is most appreciated.

Vintner

chardannay

you should add none-- this white should be able to stand on it's own.and I dough very much if the mfg. will send one with it.usually only oak is provided if that ,but Chardonnay is traditionally done with oak,but fruit forward think people can have it there way also,either way no FPAC.

I assume you're referring to the Gran Cru International California Chardonnay? That particular kit does not come with any flavoring pack, and I think it would be a little odd for a Chardonnay kit to have one.

About the only way a Chardonnay would come with an F pack is if it is a sweet, fruit-added kit, like an Orchard Breezin', or some other mist kit.

A typical Chard will not need an F pack.

Vintner:

The RJSpagnols web-site shows sweetness 0 for this kit. Since an F-pack is used to sweeten a non-mist kit, I would say that there is no F-pack in this kit.

If you already have the kit, open it up and have a look around. Maybe I'm just the nosy type, but I ALWAYS open a kit when I get it. There could be something wrong inside, eg leaky clearing agents, missing yeast.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is my first white wine. I usually drink reds 99% of the time. In the future, I will open the kit and see what is in there before I start asking questions. My brother makes kits and has made some of the mist kits. This may be where I was told to not add all the F pack or it will be too sweet. I will just follow the RJS instructions as they have not let me down yet. Thanks again!

Vintner

I think all the mist type kits come with F-packs. With wine only kits, it depends on the kit. Chardonnay may have oak chips/dust but I doubt it will have a f-pack

cheers

Latest posts

Back