How many lugs into 150 gallon fermentation bin?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2000

Reaction score
So how many lugs fit into a 150 gallon fermentation bin? Sorry when I used to make the wine with dad I never really counted. Now will be making the wine on my own and don't know how many cases of lugs fit in there.

I see estimations for lugs to gallons of wine but not sure on how much would fit my 2 - 150 gallon fermentation bins. So you grape guys, how many lugs do you purchase and what volume in gallons do you fill up your fermentation bins. I figure I can get a good guesstimate from your responses.

picture.php

Here they were in action like 15 years ago

picture.php

Still trying to find that electronic crusher. I got three manual ones!

Last edited:
If the lugs are 36 pounds, you should get about 2.5 gallons of wine, net. You only want to fill the fermenters about 2/3 full, so figure from there. If you are making white wine, you only put the juice in the fermenter so that would be aobut 40 lugs. If you are making red wine, the juice and the skins go in so of the 2/3 full about 1/6 will be skins. Sounds like a math test!

Sorry, I dont make that much of any one kind so I dont use big tubs like that. I only make 6 gallons of anything max.

Latest posts

Back