How many carboys do you have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many Carboys do you have?

• Just 1

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 2 is perfect

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 3-4 suits me

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I can't make wine fast enough 5+

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters
Hi, my name is Steve and I am a "wine making-a-holic"!

I have 12 (5) gallon carboys
4 or 5 (3) gallon
15 (1) gallon and 2 (1/2) gallon carboys.
All glass. I do need to add some more 5 gallon.
Probably end up with 20 total by this fall. I have plans of blending many for the next large batch.

Hi, my name is Steve and I am a "wine making-a-holic"!

I have 12 (5) gallon carboys
4 or 5 (3) gallon
15 (1) gallon and 2 (1/2) gallon carboys.
All glass. I do need to add some more 5 gallon.
Probably end up with 20 total by this fall. I have plans of blending many for the next large batch.
Hi Steve, keep coming back

Hi Steve, keep coming back

I love this sight and all the coments!
I just racked my blueberry (one 3 gallon, one half gal. Plus a bottle) to secondary. I'm not adding anything to expedite clearing. I'm doing it "Luc" style.

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!!

I'm feeling quite envious of you folks who have the space to have setups like in those pics! lol
I have to do it all in my 1 bedroom condo, so the wine operation is part of the dining room cabinet decoration scheme, only 2 carboys and a plastic fermenter that tucks in a closet.
Fine for current needs but I'd run out of wine quickly if I decided to bulk age a while. :h

Here are some carboys of all sizes and shapes to show you what's cooking. These are all from cold hardy wine grapes. The winery is ever evolving, so ignore the wires hanging out of the walls and such. They are capped off or reattached to their outlets or devices now. This is becoming the bottling room/lab.

20100124_131256_100_5819_Medium.jpg

No I don't cover the windows. The picture looks brighter than it usually is in that room. It is my personal feeling that keeping your wine in the dark is overdone. My wine isn't in the bright sunlight so I don't worry. Like everyone else when I began, I heard the deal of keeping it in the dark, so I have been running an experiment. I have a rose and a white wine sitting in a window for decoration and both of them are in clear glass. Any color change to them has been miniscule. I do throw a t-shirt over the carboys sitting right next to the windows, but that's it.

I have to admit, the peer pressure made me buy another 6 gallon & 1 gallon carboy today... :)

Back