How many carboys do you have?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually do not know. :) But I think it is somewhere around 10.

I have 2 6's, 2 5's, 2 3's and 2 one gallons. This allows me to mix and match depending on the volume I have to minimize risk of head space.

Approximately six6 gallon, four 5 gallon, and one 3 gallon. I also have a plethora of 1 gallon and smaller jugs. All are glass.

Note: I recently noticed a small crack on the base of one of my 6 gallons. So, I use that one for transfer purposes only - rack to it, clean the original, and rack back (or bottle).

Note 2: I added gallon markings on one of my 6 and 5 gallon carboys. I used an exact measure to determine the marks. I put a small label on the carboy at each gallon level, and marked the spot on the label with a pen. It helps in knowing how much I have for the next step. For example, after racking and adding the f-pack to the La Bodega Port, I now know I have 3.75 gallons, and can fortify accordingly.

Last edited:
I only have three but am waiting the post to bring two more. Only one gallon ones thus far as they are pretty optimal for my storage at the moment.

1 six gallon, 2 fives, 5 threes and about 8 one gallon

I have a total of 29 carboys all glass mostly 6's some 5's. At this time 21 are working (full) and the rest of them are slacking off (empty).

6 @ 6gal all full
6 @ 5 gal all loafing
7@ 4 gal 1 full 6 napping

My 6.5 had an accident, I miss it

8 @ 6 gallon, 1 @ 3 gallon, and 3 of the gallon jugs. Maybe someday I will have them all full at once :)

I always tell people that after 11 or so carboys your spouse quits counting and it's easy to sneak more in. Well after 30 we quit counting. It must be close to 50 between 5-15 gallon vessels and a whole boatload of 1/2 and 1 gallon jugs. I just gave away a dozen gallon jugs.

I always tell people that after 11 or so carboys your spouse quits counting and it's easy to sneak more in. Well after 30 we quit counting. It must be close to 50 between 5-15 gallon vessels and a whole boatload of 1/2 and 1 gallon jugs. I just gave away a dozen gallon jugs.

Yes you did, Thanks Dan!

4@6 gal 8@5 gal 2@3 gal 8@1 gal 4@1/2 gal. I need MMMOOOOOORRREEE!!!!

When I first seen this question my 1st reaction was to say "not enough" lol 3 3 gal better bottles, 2 6 gal better bottles, 1 5 gal better bottle, 2 glass 5 gal, 2 glass 3 gal, 5 glass 1 gal and 1 glass 1/2 gal. And sometimes not enough of all sizes! Although I do have some empty right now because of rotation love it when I can actually bottle!

Back