How do you serve you vinos?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Before enjoying your vino, do you typically:

• Decant it

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Aerate it

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Straight pour it

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
I agree with everything you said. The key point is "how much?" By myself, while I can certainly decant that bottle and it will NOT go to waste ... aeration is a better choice. If I know we are gonna finish that bottle? I decant.
For decanters........

How long is ur sweet spot?

I keep screw cap split bottles for that purpose! They also prevent me from finishing the bottle ....

Target sells the Vaccuvin with 1 stopper for $13 USD. You can get the same unit with 2 stoppers for $30 else where. My stoppers look a bit different, but are essentially the same, and the pump looks the same. It's surprising a 34 year old unit still works fine.

https://www.target.com/p/vacu-vin-wine-saver-with-stopper-black/-/A-80649974
How long does wine last when you use this? For reds, do you use it and then refrigerate or just put them on a shelf?

For decanters........

How long is ur sweet spot?
I pour into the decanter, splashing as it goes. I typically target an hour.

How long does wine last when you use this? For reds, do you use it and then refrigerate or just put them on a shelf?
I find the vacuum holds for 3 to 5 days, and I leave it on the counter.

Last year i decided to bag and box my red wine. Bags if poured carefully dont get air in them, which prevents the remaining wine from spoiling. Pouring the wine from a height into a glass/jug/decanter does improve most red wines, especially with shop bought cheap wine. The other key thing is temperature, room temperature in the far north or south isnt the same as nearer the eqautor. Sometimes in my travels i have added ice or placed wine over a fireplace to get all the good flavours out of my wine

Has anyone ever aerating in a blender? No, not trolling, it's a thing. Saw an article on it once and I tried it a few years ago on the second half of a bottle, to the horror of my brother-in-law. The wine in question still had some carbonation in it, so I suggested we try it. In this case it did actually improve that bottle. I'm not sure on the aeration aspect of the method, but it did eliminate the carbonation in that case, which was what bothered me about it. Not necessarily something you would do all the time, but maybe another tool in your arsenal of tricks.

I'll chime in.

As far as "how long does wine last when you use this (Vacu Vin)"?
Much longer than without it!

A more nuanced answer is: that depends on how much ullage is in the bottle after pouring when sealing it, IMO. For instance, if one takes a small glass of wine out of a bottle and uses a Vacu Vin it will last much longer than if one took all the wine except a small glass of wine out. A Vacu Vin removes much but not all of the air, and therefore oxygen, that enters the bottle after pouring.

Anecdotally, I can relate an experience of mine. I'd opened a bottle of red wine and had one glass and put in a stopper and pumped it down as I always do. My wife put it in a cupboard the next morning and the day after that we left on travels for 2 weeks. I didn't find it for over a week after we returned, it still went woosh when I went to relieve the (partial) vacuum and tried it and it tasted fine to me and the wife. I had wondered if these really work so got out another bottle of the same wine after we finished that bottle and it tasted no different and proved to me at least that they do indeed work. They do help to preserve an opened wine on a relatively short time frame.
That was nearly 4 weeks that the Vacu Vin preserved a 3/4 full bottle of red wine not refrigerated and I wouldn't doubt one could have similar success using it with a white wine if refrigerated.
I use them religiously.

Latest posts

Back