Storing Full Cases of Vino...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
curious how folks & wineries store their full cases of vino when you have a large # of them to manage?

I'm using Nomacorc's these days and just toss the majority right back in the case(s) right after corking -- so I'm looking for storage ideas/strategies for stacking/storing etc full cases.

How do wineries handle this?

Cheers!

I use Nomacorc as well. Most bottles go into racks or on shelves within a month of bottling, depending on when I get around to labeling. At this time I'm out of space, so I have cases stacked 3 high in a corner.

I've been eliminating tall and odd-shaped bottles, so all bottles fit well within typical cases so I can stack them safely. By "eliminate" I bottle some wine in the bottles I want to get rid of and give those bottles to folks where I don't expect to get the bottles back.

curious how folks & wineries store their full cases of vino when you have a large # of them to manage?
I keep my bottled wine in my basement in boxes, corks on the bottom. They are mostly just one layer but I wouldn't have a problem stacking them up if needed.
How do wineries handle this?
Cased goods are generally 'palletized', ie stored on wood pallets so that they can be moved around with forklift/pallet jack. Exact details vary, but typically we have 14 (Burgundy glass) cases per layer and 4 layers per pallet, so 56 cases. When floor space is at a premium (ie always - especially during bottling) we stack pallets one on top of the other (2 high). Boxed wine bottles are pretty strong and the load is spread across the whole layer.

Bottles with natural corks can be stored in cases as well. Just store them upside down. I think that some commercial wines are stored this way in the warehouse

I use Nomacork. Half cases and greater wind up in cases on a shelf. They have notes / contest results in the fold so I can select appropriate bottles if giving some away. A historical one or three bottles winds up in mixed cases that have outside stickers for the contents. Tasting notes follow and sit on top of the case.

The largest winery in the state uses aluminum screw caps and stores lots on full pallets in a warehouse. For laughs I ought to ask the winery in town which does 1000 liter tanks. My guess is they also palletize product.

Latest posts

Back