Avante - Fav vinos to use it in?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Getting some Avante for the first time and am curious what vinos folks have found work best using it to ferment -- any Favs ???

Cheers!

Getting some Avante for the first time and am curious what vinos folks have found work best using it to ferment -- any Favs ???

Not sure what you mean. I've used Avante for Primitivo, Syrah, Barbera, and Sangiovese over multiple years. Worked great for all. So I'd use it for any red grape fermentation that you want. Be ready for a fairly rapid fermentation.

Good luck, I'm sure it will work perfectly.

I haven't used Avante as long as @CDrew has, but I'm happy with the results when I used it. However, at this point I haven't done a direct yeast comparison, so I can't give you a real evaluation other than "they came out good".

This fall I'm planning for 8 lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon and 8 lugs of Cabernet Franc. Each varietal will be fermented in 4 lug batches, with Bravo in one and Avante in the other. Post-fermentation, both batches of CS will be combined, as will the CF.

If I remember (pressing day is hectic) I'd like to reserve 4 liters from each batch, with the intention of reserving a minimum of 3 bottles of each that can be later taste tested against the combined wines.

Additionally we're buying 3 lugs of Merlot, which I'm considering fermenting separately with Bravo, Avante, and RC-212. Given they are much smaller batches, I'd like to reserve 1.5 liters of each with the intention of bottling 1 bottle of each for later comparison.

I’ve use is on cab sav and old vine zin. The zin got to low 90s and the yeast didn’t stress. The extraction and aroma on that zin are awesome!

I reviewed my notes and I used Avante in a wide variety of wines:

2021 FWK Forte Super Tuscan kit (triple batch)
2022 Global Vintners Chocolate/Raspberry Apres Kit
2022 Vintners Best Elderberry concentrate

2022 Grenache (4 lugs)
2022 Tempranillo (4 lugs)
2022 Mourvedre (1 lug)
2022 Petite Sirah (1 lug)
2022 Syrah (1 lug)

2022 FWK Tavola Merlot / Grenache pomace (yeast in pomace)
2022 FWK Tavola Merlot / Tempranillo pomace (yeast in pomace)

2022 Grenache (4 lugs)
2022 Mourvedre (1 lug)
2022 Syrah (1 lug)

Great! Sounds like a good selection for multiple reds. Gonna give it a whirl with an upcoming Sangiovese -- rather than my standard RC212.

Cheers All!

We just bottled our 2022 Sangiovese: (Super Tuscan) Sangiovese 44%, Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot 10%, Petite Sirah 6% (768 Bottles)
We used Avante for the 1st time, past years we did two separate batch's 1 with D80 Yeast and 1 with D254 after fermentation to dry we blended them. It was a lot more work and the results we got with Avante are perfect, especially when we have to deal with high must temps at times. Avante was a champ.

Not sure what you mean. I've used Avante for Primitivo, Syrah, Barbera, and Sangiovese over multiple years. Worked great for all. So I'd use it for any red grape fermentation that you want. Be ready for a fairly rapid fermentation.

Good luck, I'm sure it will work perfectly.
Do you add any nutrients?

Yes. I always add Fermaid O to ensure complete fermentation. It's pretty trouble free though.
CDrew, How many Grams/Gallon do you use I have been using Fermaid K for years at 1 Gram/Gallon and just now noticed Fermaid O is all organic seems like a better choice, but they recommend 1.5 Grams/Gallon I have always split it into 2 - 1/2 batches (1) at the start of fermentation 1st cap and (2) at 8-10 Brix drop. Whats your typical protocol?

CDrew, How many Grams/Gallon do you use I have been using Fermaid K for years at 1 Gram/Gallon and just now noticed Fermaid O is all organic seems like a better choice, but they recommend 1.5 Grams/Gallon I have always split it into 2 - 1/2 batches (1) at the start of fermentation 1st cap and (2) at 8-10 Brix drop. Whats your typical protocol?

Not that I'm an expert but with Fermaid O I typically do 1.5g/gallon at first cap and a second addition of 0.75 per gallon a day or so later. Its slightly more than Morewine recommends but its always worked well for me.

Thanks CDrew, I also just noticed on Lodi Wine Labs site Renaissance yeasts has a few other yeasts curious if anyone has tried them.
  • BRAVO YEAST
  • Adante (This is what I have used)
  • Muse
  • Maestoso

Thanks CDrew, I also just noticed on Lodi Wine Labs site Renaissance yeasts has a few other yeasts curious if anyone has tried them.
  • BRAVO YEAST
  • Adante (This is what I have used)
  • Muse
  • Maestoso

Yes-I've used Bravo 2021, and 2022 in my Syrah and have the same favorable experience I've had with Avante. It's maybe not quite as fast but it's still very fast and clean. I typically use the Avante for the Primitivo we will get this weekend, but I may use Bravo in that as an experiment. I believe the Muse requires a cooler fermentation than exists in my garage, so I have avoided it. If I remember, it's kind of specific for Pinot Noir and has a max temp of 77F.

2022 Grenache (4 lugs)
2022 Mourvedre (1 lug)
2022 Syrah (1 lug)

Hei Winemaker. I see you have used pomace in the kit,thats exactly what I would like to do this year. How did it work? Did you see any improvement in quality vs what you would expect with just the kit without pomace?

Hei Winemaker. I see you have used pomace in the kit,thats exactly what I would like to do this year. How did it work? Did you see any improvement in quality vs what you would expect with just the kit without pomace?
I used FWK Tavola Merlot, which from experience with Barbera and Pinot Noir kits, should have produced a solid table wine. Lighter in body than a grape or kit with skin packs, but very nice.

The kit/pomace wines are a bit heavier bodied, and are strongly flavored by the respective pomaces. I had pressed the pomaces moderately hard (I have a basket press, no setting X pressure), but used a lot -- the batches were 8 lugs each, which is a lot of residue. I didn't punch down the wines; more like I was stirring concrete. 🤣

Any moderately priced kit w/o skin packs should work fine.

My only disappointment is that after I divvied the wines up with my son and niece, I only had 1 case of each.

This fall we are making Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc (8 lugs each), and are ordering 2 Sangiovese juice buckets. Post fermentation we'll blend the two batches, which should make something like a Chianti. We plan an 4 lug Merlot, and my son was considering getting another juice bucket (Montepulciano?), but looked at his stock and doesn't need another 3 cases of wine. We may divide the Merlot pomace among the other two.

I wrote an "In Detail" blog regarding the kit/pomace wines, and have my normal notes on individual batches.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-fwk-kit-grape-pomace-in-detail/
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-merlot-grenache/
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-merlot-tempranillo/

I used FWK Tavola Merlot, which from experience with Barbera and Pinot Noir kits, should have produced a solid table wine. Lighter in body than a grape or kit with skin packs, but very nice.

The kit/pomace wines are a bit heavier bodied, and are strongly flavored by the respective pomaces. I had pressed the pomaces moderately hard (I have a basket press, no setting X pressure), but used a lot -- the batches were 8 lugs each, which is a lot of residue. I didn't punch down the wines; more like I was stirring concrete. 🤣

Any moderately priced kit w/o skin packs should work fine.

My only disappointment is that after I divvied the wines up with my son and niece, I only had 1 case of each.

This fall we are making Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc (8 lugs each), and are ordering 2 Sangiovese juice buckets. Post fermentation we'll blend the two batches, which should make something like a Chianti. We plan an 4 lug Merlot, and my son was considering getting another juice bucket (Montepulciano?), but looked at his stock and doesn't need another 3 cases of wine. We may divide the Merlot pomace among the other two.

I wrote an "In Detail" blog regarding the kit/pomace wines, and have my normal notes on individual batches.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-fwk-kit-grape-pomace-in-detail/
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-merlot-grenache/
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-merlot-tempranillo/
That was a nice read thank you. I see you used a lots of skins for 1 kit.If you did it again,would you use the same proportions of skin to juice?

That was a nice read thank you. I see you used a lots of skins for 1 kit.If you did it again,would you use the same proportions of skin to juice?
Thanks!

For the way I pressed, the quantity was necessary. If I pressed the skins less, no.

I'm also constrained by storage space -- I'd love to buy 3 more buckets and use 4 lugs of pomace for each ... but I while I have the fermentation space, I don't have space for the resulting wine.

However, any pomace you add to a kit or bucket should have a positive effect.

CDrew sent some Renaissance Avante to me three years ago. We were doing a Bordeaux blend and he recommended it. That's Cab Sauv, Merlot, and Cab Franc. Since then we've used it for Sangiovese and Zinfandel. It's been trouble free. Maybe even excellent.

This year the plan is to try Renaissance Brio for the major project. It's Pinot Noir. That decision is partially based on their claim that it can be used for both the red ferment and for the juice we plan to draw off for a rosé.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back