Bulk aging oak soaked in bourbon prior...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has soaked their bulk aging oak (cubes, spirals, staves etc) in bourbon prior to using it when bulk aging your vino in a neutral vessel?

If so - would you recommend it?

Cheers!

Curious as well! A distiller in my town is offering used ex-bourbon staves and even ex-rum staves. I've had a good bourbon barrel aged red Woods Family's Against the Grain Shop | Wood Family Vineyards but would love to know if other's have done this with red wine and had positive (or negative) experiences.

@Bmd2k1 I have done just that and did not notice any bourbon flavors at all which is what I was looking for, but found the oak hints seem to be softer. For the hint of bourbon I was looking for I added straight bourbon at a rate of 40ml to 60ml per gal and was happy with that. For my liking of course.

@Bmd2k1 I have done just that and did not notice any bourbon flavors at all which is what I was looking for, but found the oak hints seem to be softer. For the hint of bourbon I was looking for I added straight bourbon at a rate of 40ml to 60ml per gal and was happy with that. For my liking of course.
This leads into something I considered earlier -- short cuts don't work, e.g., 9 women cannot make 1 baby in 1 month.

Straight bourbon must be aged at least 2 years in new oak barrels, while bottled-in-bond must be aged at least 4 years. Bourbon barrels cannot be re-used for bourbon; from what I've read, most are resold to Scotland, which has no requirement.

Soaking cubes for a few weeks, or even months, will not produce the same effect. Upon reflection, it's necessary to buy used bourbon barrel parts or soak cubes for a couple of years.

Or add bourbon to a wine to change the flavor.

Uncle and grandfather used to clean their barrels with water, let drip air dry for a day, then add 1 gallon of cheap bourbon and cork . The alcohol would keep the barrel hydrated and sanitized. When it was time to fill with wine, drained the bourbon and frip dry for a few hours. I can still remember the light bourbon aromas in the empty barrel. But the wine had it's own distinct character, but never smelled or tasted any residual bourbon.

This leads into something I considered earlier -- short cuts don't work, e.g., 9 women cannot make 1 baby in 1 month.

Straight bourbon must be aged at least 2 years in new oak barrels, while bottled-in-bond must be aged at least 4 years. Bourbon barrels cannot be re-used for bourbon; from what I've read, most are resold to Scotland, which has no requirement.

Soaking cubes for a few weeks, or even months, will not produce the same effect. Upon reflection, it's necessary to buy used bourbon barrel parts or soak cubes for a couple of years.

Or add bourbon to a wine to change the flavor.
You're wrong there, 81! Shortcuts do work sometimes, though if they do work, they're probably not a shortcut!

I must change my glasses, they hold too much wine. 🤣

As for the women quote, 9 men couldn't make 1 baby in 1 month if the woman was infertile. Not for the lack of trying, I suppose! 😇

Latest posts

Back