Bulk aging on oak - flavor distrbution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious...

When ya bulk age vino on oak spirals/sticks/cubes etc.....if you just let everything sit still, does the oak goodness get automatically evenly distributed across all the wine? Or should ya swirl/stir etc before bottling?

Cheers!

When ya bulk age vino on oak spirals/sticks/cubes etc.....if you just let everything sit still, does the oak goodness get automatically evenly distributed across all the wine? Or should ya swirl/stir etc before bottling?

I usually leave the spirals floating the carboy for at least 3 months. Sometimes I leave them for 6 months, but my bulk age racking schedule is aprox every 3 months. The wine gets mixed during racking.

When ya bulk age vino on oak spirals/sticks/cubes etc.....if you just let everything sit still, does the oak goodness get automatically evenly distributed across all the wine?
The flavoring does not get distributed. Especially with cubes that are at the bottom of the container, the wine nearest the cubes will be heavily oaked, possible undrinkable on its own. Stirring is necessary.

The only time I don't rack before bottling is if I racked a week or 2 prior. Normally I rack the wine as I'm adding K-meta (and in recent years, glycerin) and need it to be distributed, plus I'm avoiding any residual sediment.

Back