Other Pinot Grigio & Moscato - bulk aging & oaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
gonna be doing my first Pinot Grigio and first Moscato kits within the next month or so.....

Curious on a couple things:

- adding Oak to bulk aging ? (for other whites I've done, no oak for my Viognier and (1) light toast American spiral for my Chards)

- length of bulk aging ? (both my Viognier and Chards get 3-4months bulk aging)

Cheers!

I'd consider small amounts of oak, like 1/2 oz medium toast cubes. I like cubes as the amount is easy to adjust.

At this time I bottle most whites at 6 months.

Today my son & I bottled most of a batch of Elderberry (6 months old), although I reserved 4 liters. That jug is going to bulk age another 4 to 6 months, and then I'm going to backsweeten without sorbate, as the yeast should be dead. I know this works, but I have to convince myself with a limited test. Assuming it works as expected, I will probably bulk age all wines designated for backsweetening for 10+ months and bottle without sorbate.

To the best of my knowledge, Pinot Grigio is seldom oaked, that might be for a reason. Having said that, I have tried it in Italy once, not the best Grigio I have tried.

What Moscato kit is that?

To the best of my knowledge, Pinot Grigio is seldom oaked, that might be for a reason. Having said that, I have tried it in Italy once, not the best Grigio I have tried.

What Moscato kit is that?
Master Vintner Reserve

Pinot Grigio underway! OG 1.092. Using D47 starter & some med toast American oak chips during fermentation. FermaidO to be added at 48hrs post-pitch. Will bulk age w/o any oak.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1029220956.jpg
    1029220956.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 0
I'd consider small amounts of oak, like 1/2 oz medium toast cubes. I like cubes as the amount is easy to adjust.

At this time I bottle most whites at 6 months.

Today my son & I bottled most of a batch of Elderberry (6 months old), although I reserved 4 liters. That jug is going to bulk age another 4 to 6 months, and then I'm going to backsweeten without sorbate, as the yeast should be dead. I know this works, but I have to convince myself with a limited test. Assuming it works as expected, I will probably bulk age all wines designated for backsweetening for 10+ months and bottle without sorbate.
your reply brings up an interesting point -- is it "best" to back sweeten before or after bulk aging? In this case, specifically for a Moscato? But also in general?

Cheers!

...for those that have done a back sweetened Moscato --- What post back sweetened FG do you find is the Sweet Spot?

I was thinking 1.01.... hmmmm

Cheers!

Back