How can I make Cab Sauv to have Sweeter taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Wine masters~!

I recently made Cab Sauv from a kit. The concentrate was around 15L and topped it up with water in a Carboy (23L).

The Primary gravity was 1.082

But I want this wine to be sweeter than it normally is, but I do not want the wine taste bad at the same time.

What should I do?? Thanks ^^

Hello Wine masters~!

I recently made Cab Sauv from a kit. The concentrate was around 15L and topped it up with water in a Carboy (23L).

The Primary gravity was 1.082

But I want this wine to be sweeter than it normally is, but I do not want the wine taste bad at the same time.

What should I do?? Thanks ^^
Ferment to dry. Make sure that K-meta and sorbate are added after the fermentation is complete. Sweeten with whatever you choose, eg simple sugar syrup, grape or fruit concentrate, ....

BTW, what kit is that? 1.082 seems a touch low even for the least expensive 15 litre kits that I have made.

Steve

Last edited:
If that is really what you want to do you could let it ferment dry. Rack, and let it clear. Add sorbate and sulfite.. Then sweeten to desired level.

Besides what has been said be cautious on sweetening. I would add enough sugar to bring your sg to .998, taste that and if it is real close to what you want then just let it sit because it will get slightly sweeter.

Use a yeast with a lower Alcohol tolerance.l Way better than adding sorbate and back sweeten and flavor will be way better

You may also want to consider letting it age a few months, like maybe at least 6 months. That new wine tart taste will probably start to disappear and you may find it not necessary to sweeten.

It is a low end kit fermenting it dry is going to take a lot of the flavor. Less fermentation would be preferable. That and I just am not a big fan of doing extra work( HA I am not lazy just thrifty with time).
I would probably use Red Star Montrachet. The kit most likey came with Lalvin 1118 or Premier Curv, They aren re4ally the same yeast strain just different manufacturer. They have alcohol tolerance of 18%. Montrachet 13%,

Last edited:
Back