higher price better?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello folks I am sure this question has been asked before there for please forgive me for asking again. Are higher priced kits better than the lower priced ones? Thank you

Short answer is yes, they certainly can be.

Someone here suggested using the cheaper kits for everyday drinking wine while your expensive big kits do their aging. I have followed that advice...but I am also coming around to face the fact that I like better wines. Where I was buying 2 cheap kits to one expensive kit....I now go the other way and buy two big kits to one cheap one.

A couple of exceptions. The big white kits have not impressed me and I have several times actually preferred the cheaper white kit....but, I'm not a white wine guy either. I love tweaking the cheap kits and trying make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....and have made some very enjoyable wines that way!

nominally that is correct. the more juice in the kit the higher the price. Mismost has good thought though. buying cheaper one to drink while more expensive is aging is good approach, also use the cheaper ones to tweak, this latter experience will carry over to all of your winemaking becoming better.

There are many degrees of quality (for lack of a better word) in kits. Not only does size matter in terms of the juice bag, but also the number and types of adders included (skins, oak, oak powder, etc.). Many times the descriptions provided for these products talk only about the expected attributes of the wine and fail to mention what's in the box. The one tip I would offer is to look at all the options online and then query this site regarding the specific kits you are most interested in. I have found very good and very specific information on particular kits using this technique.

I'd say I am on board with Mismost. I still buy smaller kits for whites, but nearly every red I'm making now is 16L or larger and most came with skin packs. So far I have had very good luck with the big kits, but they do require the dreaded "P" word . . . patience.

Like most things, it depends.I have made 16L kits that were better to me than 18L kits.

Not only does size matter in terms of the juice bag, but also the number and types of adders included (skins, oak, oak powder, etc.). Many times the descriptions provided for these products talk only about the expected attributes of the wine and fail to mention what's in the box. The one tip I would offer is to look at all the options online and then query this site regarding the specific kits you are most interested in. I have found very good and very specific information on particular kits using this technique.

This is where I am on the subject: TJ points to all the stuff that I think about: How much juice do I get (16 or 18 Liters are typically premium, 23 Liters is like a baby pigeon to me... I know they exist, but I've never seen one)? What else comes in the box with the juice (grape skins, oak powder and oak cubes)? I also share this frustration that you don't always know until you open the box up unless your retailer has a decent video.

But, higher price doesn't always mean better wine. Shop for deals - the same ultra premium kit at one site could be $30 or $40 cheaper than another site (or the same price as one of the less-than-premium kits on another site). Also, you might ask around this site, too, before buying a kit you haven't done before. The SE Amarone with skins is a perfect example. Very good wine, needs a couple years to mature, 16L of juice, huuuge grape pack, two sugar packs for chapitalization and lots of Hungarian oak dust for the primary. Online price is around $105 + shipping at one site; $148 + shipping at another.

Last edited:
For all those that used to have problems with sou.thern.home.brew (they're website is blocked from this forum because they had issues in the past) I assure you they're all good. They've had new ownership for over year, they're prices are hard to beat, they're customer service is great and they sell both WE and RJS. Labelpeelers is also a good option pricewise, but they only sell WE kits. I've looked at other site like finewines and others mentioned here and nothing beats sou.thern.home.brew (labelpeelers is about the same for the WE kits I've researched)

For all those that used to have problems with sou.thern.home.brew (they're website is blocked from this forum because they had issues in the past) I assure you they're all good. They've had new ownership for over year, they're prices are hard to beat, they're customer service is great and they sell both WE and RJS. Labelpeelers is also a good option pricewise, but they only sell WE kits. I've looked at other site like finewines and others mentioned here and nothing beats sou.thern.home.brew (labelpeelers is about the same for the WE kits I've researched)
Are they still shipping with those pink packing peanuts from our grandparent's era?

Are they still shipping with those pink packing peanuts from our grandparent's era?

Yep. Just received one last week. Those peanuts are indeed a giant pain - especially this time of year with furnaces running and static everywhere. But in terms of prices for the RJS products, they're hard to beat. Their WE prices are often slightly lower than LP, but I think LP still has the edge when you factor in their rewards program.

Guys - do what you will. But, I think until the folks (new or old) from the site that dare-not-be-mentioned on WMT reaches out to the mods and makes their peace, it’s probably better not to poke that particular bear.

Respect the rules... that is all.

I had no idea. Out of curiosity, how would one go about discovering which vendors/topics/words/ideas are forboden on this site, so as not to run afoul?

Last edited:
I had no idea. Out of curiosity, how would one go about discovering which vendors/topics/words/ideas are forboden on this site, so as not to run afoul?

I wouldn’t worry. Yea they can be particular about things but in the end it’s those fundamentals that help WMT maintain its awesomeness. It sets them apart from other forums (that easily turn into free-for-alls) with a universal respect that is quite rare.
If you did end up crossing a line you would know it. They stay on top of it and you’d likely get a private message explaining whatever situation to make you aware- Instead of putting you on blast in the thread and opening up the flood gates. I’ve gotten my share of PMs which are essentially putting out fires before they start.

I wouldn’t worry. Yea they can be particular about things but in the end it’s those fundamentals that help WMT maintain its awesomeness. It sets them apart from other forums (that easily turn into free-for-alls) with a universal respect that is quite rare.
If you did end up crossing a line you would know it. They stay on top of it and you’d likely get a private message explaining whatever situation to make you aware- Instead of putting you on blast in the thread and opening up the flood gates. I’ve gotten my share of PMs which are essentially putting out fires before they start.

I can just imagine you got quite a few PMs in the past. LOL

Sadly they continue to use the packing peanuts. Apparently their RJS distributor in Rhode Island uses them as well. I've received some kits directly from their distributor since I'm way closer to them, which is a great perk. I've received kits 2 days after ordering

Latest posts

Back