Hi from Cat Spring, Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coleman509

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks, just found this forum while looking for some info on "Backsweetening" my batch of blueberry wine - this is my third batch of wine (the first two were blackberry) - I've come to realize that sweetening is not as "taboo" as I had thought, anyway, I bought some grape concentrate to sweeten with and I have no idea how much to use - have a five gallon carboy. Any info would be much appreciated - thanks, Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to WineMakingTalk. First off, make sure you add k-meta and sorbate before sweetening. If you don't you will start your wine to re-ferment. Are you looking for a sweet wine or a wine that just takes the edge of the dryness?

Hello, Welcome to the forum. Like Julie says, stabalize first. If you do not, you are liable to get a referment. Do a bench trial, draw some of the wine and add a bit of your concentrate, til you get it as sweet as you want it. Figure out how much of the concentrate you will need for the rest of the 5 gal. You mite stop just a bit before you get it as sweet as you want it as it seems like it will get just a little bit sweeter as it sits in the bottles. Good luck with it, Arne.

Hi Arne, thank you for posting - did the bench trial and I ended up adding a little over 1/4 cup of RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE per gallon - I guess every batch is different so you just have to test it.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm learning that a number of folks, this would include my wife, who say the prefer a "dry" wine actually prefer an off dry or semi-dry wine.

Thanks for the welcome guys! I have a question about bentonite - I should start a new thread, right? this is all new to me:)

Probably best to start a new thread. Go down to the beginners section and try posting there. You will probably get more people looking at it and more help. Arne.

Welcome from Aransas Pass. (near Corpus).
You're going to find loads of help here. And get ready, you will need more carboys after you see all the neat wines everyone here does.

oh heck yes...and next spring I will gladly share my blackberries and mustang grapes with you.....
if my berries come in like last year i should get about 6 to 800 lbs..if i can find people that will pick for me..
mustang grapes, maybe 400 lbs...come pick all you want. we will keep in touch.

jamesngalveston said:
oh heck yes...and next spring I will gladly share my blackberries and mustang grapes with you.....
if my berries come in like last year i should get about 6 to 800 lbs..if i can find people that will pick for me..
mustang grapes, maybe 400 lbs...come pick all you want. we will keep in touch.

Sound great. I have a lot of different Meads and Melomels and wins to exchange.

Roger

Thank you Roger - "fellow Texan" :) - I'm amazed at all the info on this site, if you have a question - it's probably been asked & answered :)

Hello from the Abilene area.

I've only been a member here and I've already learned so much.
I think you will find yourself in good company.

Latest posts

Back