WineXpert Help!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franco22

Reaction score
Ok I cant be the only one this has happened to: Today was the day we were to clear and stabilise our w/e white zin kit....well went to use the trusty wine whip and I guess I didnt have chuck tightend down enough and dow it went into the wine!! No way of getting it out...will it be ok to leave it in there ? I do not plan on bulk aging and will bottle in a couple of weeks??:(

You should be fine as long as you do not have to use it on any other wines. We all have done something similar over the years (LOL)

Sorry to hear of your predicament, franco22, but would it not be possible or practical to rack the wine into the primary bucket, remove the whip and then rack the wine back into your carboy? Obviously that will mean some exposure to the air but for such a short time and with the wine full of CO2 and possibly, SO2 if you recently added K-meta, then how much oxidation will take place ?

Ok I cant be the only one this has happened to: Today was the day we were to clear and stabilise our w/e white zin kit....well went to use the trusty wine whip and I guess I didnt have chuck tightend down enough and dow it went into the wine!! No way of getting it out...will it be ok to leave it in there ? I do not plan on bulk aging and will bottle in a couple of weeks??:(

Ohhhh, you don't want to know what I had thrown in my wines by accident...:slp

Franco, not that it will help you this time, but a good trick is to attach a universal stopper on the shaft of the whip near the drill. This prevents wine from splashing out of the carboy during de-gassing and would have prevented the whip from slipping into the carboy.

Franco, not that it will help you this time, but a good trick is to attach a universal stopper on the shaft of the whip near the drill. This prevents wine from splashing out of the carboy during de-gassing and would have prevented the whip from slipping into the carboy.

Thanks all for the advice...think I will let it sit for a couple of weeks till it clears and is ready to be bottled....@ Rocky...The whip did come with a stooper but all the reviews I read suggested not to use it as it put bits of plastic in the wine??? Is this why they say to half fill the bung with cool water??...Kinda funny in my effort to keep bits of plastic off my wine I end up with one huge piece in there!!!

Just an update...We bottled wine tonight...got whip out...it was drunk as hell and laughing at me so I cut it up and threw it away...oh yeah I made it watch while I ordered a vacuum pump before I shredded it...stupid whip!!! LOL

Hahaha. Now get a mix stir you will play hell cutting that up.

Back