Other help quick vote

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I am fixin to order two kits that I blend together for my own Italian blend (actually stole the blend off a label description we love). It is a blend of a Valpolicella and a Super Tuscan blend. In the past I have always used CC Roso Fortissimo w/grape pack and RJS Cru Select Valpolicella Ripasso w/skins. So I'm wondering if I should change either of these. Vote for one of each Valp/Super Tuscan below.

Super Tuscans:
CC Roso Fortissimo/gp
RJS Super tuscan/gp
MMM Rojo Intensio/gp&raisins (I have waiting for carboy)

Valpolicella:
RJS CRu Select Valp Ripasso/skins
RJS Winery Valp/gp
MMRenn Valpolicella/skins

Comment if you want but please vote.

"the blend off a label description we love)." Seems like your proud of this one. No Change

Super Tuscan is a blend and can be any kind of grape. There is no "standard" for Super Tuscan, in fact, there may already be valpolicello in it.

I think you will have a very good wine, but it won't match the taste of that favorite label.

Oh, and ferment the kits seperatly and blend when done and to taste.

Italian-American-Tuscan Blend: RJS/WE Brunello w/GPak (who makes the best 100% Sangiovese kit?) with a little CC Walla Walla Cab/Merlot blend, no more than 20%.

Tony this blend sounds very interesting, can you share the percentages used? Thanks

Tony this blend sounds very interesting, can you share the percentages used? Thanks
The commercial blend L'larco Rubio is 20% Valpolicella 40% Cabernet Franc and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and is dark ruby, lush and NOT bone dry. It costs about $35. My blend has been 1/3 RJS Cru Valpolicella Ripassa and 2/3 CC Rossi Fortissimo. I back sweetin with about an ounce per gallon of pure cane syrup and 4 ounces of glycerin in 5 gallons.

Last edited:
tonyt said:
The commercial blend L'larco Rubio is 20% Valpolicella 40% Cabernet Franc and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and is dark ruby, lush and NOT bone dry. It costs about $35. My blend has been 1/3 RJS Cru Valpolicella Ripassa and 2/3 CC Rossi Fortissimo. I back sweetin with about an ounce per gallon of pure cane syrup and 4 ounces of glycerin in 5 gallons.

What exactly does the glycerin do for the wine?

Glycerin adds body and improves mouthfeel to thin wine. I only add it to this blend and my Amarone. I sometimes add it to kits without grape packs if they seem thin. I add four ounces per six gallons about a week prior to bottling.

Tony, couple of quick kit blending questions:

Do you need to add additional sorbate to the blend due to backsweetening if you added the dose included with the kit per instructions, and how long after adding sugar and glycerin do you wait to bottle. Thanks

Good question Kat. You only need to add sorbate once. Some kits have you add it at clearing others have you wait till last racking and bottling. I usually add glycerin ans/or syrup a week or so prior to bottling. For my taste IF I back sweeten I start with three ounces of Torani Pure Cane syrup, then add ounce at a time to my taste per six gallons.

Edited to add:
It's always a good idea to do a bench test the first time you are blending or back sweetening. Take several glasses or small bottles filling each with different amounts of each wine you want to blend (25-75 blend, 50-50 blend, 75-25 blend, and so on. After you find the blend you like and if back sweetening count drops of simple syrup into each glass and extrapolate that to how ever many gallons of your blend. I don't know where but I found on the web how many drops are in an ounce. Once I set my recipe for the Rubio that's where I start and adjust for each batch. I do not do the bench test every time, only the first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back