What is The Best Nebbiolo Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double batches are always a good idea to help increase stock and time. Another choice is to make a bunch of quick drinking kits or fruit kits to build up your stock, then let everything age appropriately. I have done both and now have many carboys and about 1000 bottles of wine in the basement. Biggest problem is storage space.

What would you consider "quick drinking kits"?

I think the lower end kits are quicker drinking for the most part. The Vintners Reserve, even the Selection level kit. You CAN make these almost to the schedule provided by the manufacturer, let age for a month or two, then drink. They are better if you let them age more, but they can be ok at three months.

I think the lower end kits are quicker drinking for the most part. The Vintners Reserve, even the Selection level kit. You CAN make these almost to the schedule provided by the manufacturer, let age for a month or two, then drink. They are better if you let them age more, but they can be ok at three months.
Especially if you pick varieties that are lighter to begin with. I often do the RJS Cru International BC Pinot Noir when needing a quicker red, make it according to the schedule and bottle age for 2 - 3 months, it is very drinkable.

Just bought the Eclipse kit. Going to leave the Super Tuscan in the carboy for another month, then start the Nebbiolo. Fortunately, our Winter has been fairly mild and my garage temperature has been fluctuating between 57 and 67. I figure that range should be pretty good to ferment another batch.

Just opened my first bottle of WE Nebbiolo, bottled in January 2019. I made four kits last year, the other three are in bulk storage awaiting my attention. My first sip, a little more than an hour ago, was a bit disappointing. Nice bouquet and flavour, but a tad “spritzy” on the tongue. Allowing it to rest for about 90 minutes has improved the wine tremendously. I can’t compare it to other Nebbiolo wine kits, as WE has been the only kit I’ve tried, thus far. I am very happy with the results of this kit. I made no “tweaks” to this batch, other than allowing it to rest an additional few months before bottling.
it has great depth, wonderful mouthfeel, and a lingering fruit taste. When I make this kit aga

Attachments

• F15AA553-74B4-4D94-9A94-DB5BFD818CEC.jpeg
    F15AA553-74B4-4D94-9A94-DB5BFD818CEC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Was it the Eclipse? WE has 3 different Nebbiolo kits;

Eclipse -- high end
Selection -- mid-range
World Vineyard -- low end

Never mind, I just looked at the picture. It was the Eclips kit. Thanks for the feedback

Just opened my first bottle of WE Nebbiolo, bottled in January 2019. I made four kits last year, the other three are in bulk storage awaiting my attention. My first sip, a little more than an hour ago, was a bit disappointing. Nice bouquet and flavour, but a tad “spritzy” on the tongue. Allowing it to rest for about 90 minutes has improved the wine tremendously. I can’t compare it to other Nebbiolo wine kits, as WE has been the only kit I’ve tried, thus far. I am very happy with the results of this kit. I made no “tweaks” to this batch, other than allowing it to rest an additional few months before bottling.
it has great depth, wonderful mouthfeel, and a lingering fruit taste. When I make this kit aga

I am not a big gadget guy but a friend gave me this and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Vinturi-V101...id=1579480157&sprefix=wine+ae,aps,152&sr=8-19

My daughter gave me that for Christmas a year ago. I love it, too. Just make sure to pour the wine through it very slowly.

I'd love to make a Nebbiolo. As far as I can tell, Winexpert doesn't offer one at all anymore, and RJS only has it in the cheaper lines (and calls it "Nebbiolo style" and doesn't say where the grapes come from). Master Vintner Sommelier Select has a Nebbiolo with grapes from Piedmont but it doesn't have skins.

So in the new world of smaller wine kits, does anyone have a recommendation of which kit I should make?

Last edited:
I'd love to make a Nebbiolo. As far as I can tell, Winexpert doesn't offer one at all anymore, and RJS only has it in the cheaper lines (and calls it "Nebbiolo style" and doesn't say where the grapes come from). So in the new world of smaller wine kits, does anyone have a recommendation of which kit I should make?
I think that’s about what there is. The Nebbie “style” from WE is pretty good. Buy the highest end kit you can afford. Honestly, I started at the top end and can’t justify buying any of the quick drinkers. YMMV. I add extra medium+ Hungarian oak, skip the sorbate and clearing agents, and let it age in the carboy six months before bottling. Wait another 6 months to taste. I’ve made it a few times and it’s a smoke show of a treat.

Last edited:
I'd love to make a Nebbiolo. As far as I can tell, Winexpert doesn't offer one at all anymore, and RJS only has it in the cheaper lines (and calls it "Nebbiolo style" and doesn't say where the grapes come from). So in the new world of smaller wine kits, does anyone have a recommendation of which kit I should make?
I have not tried this one, but it looks promising. It is a 16-liter kit which, I have found, are very good. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/sommelier-select-italian-nebbiolo

I've made Finer Wine Kits and they taste better than the more expensive kits I've made. The Forte series comes with two bags of skins and are designed to age, but you can also do the Tavola Series and drink sooner. They also have fruit wines, roses, and whites. They're a good value, too, especially compared to Mosti Mondiali. Currently making their Forte Cab, Forte Super Tuscan, Forte Pinot Noir, Forte Bordeaux Blend, and double-batch of Tavola Zinfandel rose. We made a double batch of the Tavola Sauvignon Blanc and crushed it. All the chemicals and oak and a yeast starter are included.

https://labelpeelers.com/finer-wine-kits/

I've made Finer Wine Kits and they taste better than the more expensive kits I've made. The Forte series comes with two bags of skins and are designed to age, but you can also do the Tavola Series and drink sooner. They also have fruit wines, roses, and whites. They're a good value, too, especially compared to Mosti Mondiali. Currently making their Forte Cab, Forte Super Tuscan, Forte Pinot Noir, Forte Bordeaux Blend, and double-batch of Tavola Zinfandel rose. We made a double batch of the Tavola Sauvignon Blanc and crushed it. All the chemicals and oak and a yeast starter are included.

https://labelpeelers.com/finer-wine-kits/
I've made their Cabernet Sauvignon twice, a Super Tuscan, a Tavola Zinfandel, a Riesling, and their new Zinfandel Blush. Unfortunately they don't offer Nebbiolo, perhaps because they source all their grapes from Lodi and Nebbiolo isn't grown in Lodi. If they offered one I would make it in a heartbeat. So at this point the Master Vintner Sommelier Select Nebbiolo looks like my best bet, until such time as FWK offers a Nebbiolo or Barolo.

I've made their Cabernet Sauvignon twice, a Super Tuscan, a Tavola Zinfandel, a Riesling, and their new Zinfandel Blush. Unfortunately they don't offer Nebbiolo, perhaps because they source all their grapes from Lodi and Nebbiolo isn't grown in Lodi. If they offered one I would make it in a heartbeat. So at this point the Master Vintner Sommelier Select Nebbiolo looks like my best bet, until such time as FWK offers a Nebbiolo or Barolo.
The great news on that front is that Matteo of Finer Wine Kits moved to Italy recently and is hoping to source Italian wine grape concentrate for FWK. He also mentioned that some new FWK red wine blends will be offered soon (but soon could mean with the 2022 harvest, which may not ship till November)?

Blends wise I'd guess they'd first add a Rhone blend to the two existing blends (Bordeaux and Super Tuscan), like a GSM: grenache, syrah, mourvedre. What other blends might we expect? Love a Rioja blend of Tempranillo and Garnacha, or a Valpolicella red blend dominated by Corvina.

Italian grapes from Italy wise I'd love Nebbiolo, Sangiovese, Corvina, Barbera, Dolcetto, Aglianico, Nero d'Avola, Lagrein, Sagrantino, the list just goes on and on but I suspect Nebbiolo would be one of the most popular.

Latest posts

Back