help me dave

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
So Im making DB which is pretty much all the time. only this time I have a problem. after fermenting it dry .995 I stabilized and waited a week. Then I racked/degaussed/back sweetened. waited a week and added super kleer. did not clear up so I waited bout a 10 days . Racked/degaussed. now its been another week and its a little better but still not clear enough to bottle. any thoughts on how to get it clear so I can get it in the bottle and start the next batch

Protein haze is the most common reason why wine will not clear. Try adding some pectic enzyme. 1/2 tsp per gallon should do the trick. Try this even if you added it in the primary, it will not effect the wine at all. Give it another week and see if it clears.

As an afternote, I have had batches using SK to clear in a few days, and others that took a month. I'm not sure what the difference was.

dave same here..some batches clear in 24 hours and some a few weeks, can not pinpoint it.
as i speak...i started a peach and a mustang grape same day
same chems, same yeast , same everything.
my mustang is bottled, the peach is still clearing...go figure.
I think it is in the acid blend,

Some fruits takes longer to clear than others, peach and pear are two that takes longer. With these two, you should always add pectic enzyme to your must.

thanks for the input Ill try that tomorrow. would do it today but i may have over enjoyed myself last night :slp

I have my blueberry and peach port though that cleared within 4 days using sparkolloid go figure. I thought for sure due to the peach it would take longer...

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back