Hello from West Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFwino

Junior
Reaction score
Howdy. I am just getting into this hobby. I grew up in WA and have always liked wine, and enjoy cooking, so I figured it couldnt hurt to try and make my own.

I like the site so far and am looking forward to learning more and having a good laugh with you guys/gals.

Howdy. I am just getting into this hobby. I grew up in WA and have always liked wine, and enjoy cooking, so I figured it couldnt hurt to try and make my own.

I like the site so far and am looking forward to learning more and having a good laugh with you guys/gals.

Yea that is one thing we do here is have fun and laugh. Welcome to the forum. Browse the site and learn.

If you need help feel free to ask.

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome.

Right now I am just reading and learning as much as I can. Also trying to figure out where in my house I would be able to make/store it all, lol.

As far as equipment goes, I found this kit (www dot eckraus dot com/wine-making/wine-making-kits/wine-making-kit-calif-connoisseur dot html) seems to have everything (hardware wise) and a wine kit to get me started. Is this a good route to go, or should I piece together my supplies? Do you see anything extra I might need that isnt in that kit?

Thank to both of you. I found a website that sells a kit that looks good to me, has all the hardware I think I would need to get started. Are there any items that you would suggest that arent normally in these kits?

Hardware list in kit:
1 - 9 Gal. Tuff-Tank with Rubber Stopper
Plastic 6 Gal. Carboy with Rubber Stopper
2 - Air Locks
21" Curved Racking Tube
Triple Scale Hydrometer
Hydrometer Jar With Base
Vinyl Racking Hose
24 Inch Stirring Spoon
Wine Bottle Brush
5 oz. CleanPro SDH Cleaner
50 Heat-Shrink Capsules
30 Mushroom Style Corks

Welcome aboard! If your just getting started then you need to look at the offerings of one of our site supporters and probably the best home brew store in the US and that is the Wine Maker's Toy Store not too far away from you in Dallas. George (the owner) is the best at helping you decide what you need (within your budget) and he will never steer you wrong.

So how in the world does one end up in San Angelo from WA!

Air Force has me stationed here. I was in WA for my first 18 years, went to college in Phoenix, moved back to WA. Joined the Air Force in 2005, got stationed in VA, and now I am in Texas.

I'll check out that site. Thanks for the link.

Welcome let us know what you end up starting with and keep us posted on how it's going

Welcome to the show! Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Welcome to the show! Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Thanks Robie, Tom and jtstar.

Half of me wants to just start ordering stuff, the rational part of me is trying to figure out where the best place in my house is to do it. Thankfully I am single and can do it pretty much where ever I want.:h

Thanks Robie, Tom and jtstar.

Half of me wants to just start ordering stuff, the rational part of me is trying to figure out where the best place in my house is to do it. Thankfully I am single and can do it pretty much where ever I want.:h

As already mentioned, one of our sponsors - The Wine Maker's Toy Store, in the Dallas area is a fine place to buy your things. I am in Colorado and I buy pretty much everything from them (George and Joseph). Before I started, I called them and got their advice on what to buy to get started. They would love to hear from you, so give them a call.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. You've been given a lot of good advice already. Good Luck!

I really wish I had a basement, stupid Texas. Seeing as how it's just me in my house, I have a spot in my kitchen that I could use. Trouble with that is I need some sort of a workbench/area to keep everything, however it cant be a permanent thing. I could either build a little bench/shelf or try and find a Rubbermaid base cabinet but I am not sure if they would be tall enough (want to avoid back issues)

Does anyone use anything like this, have ideas or suggestions?

I know you don't have one in San Angelo but Costco has a really nice stainless steel workbench for $120 shipped. Samsclub may have one as well. This would be perfect as a start if you don't want to build something (really heavy) out of wood. Stainless steel cleans up easily and is very wine friendly. Two of these would be perfect IMHO.

Stainless Steel Cart

stupid Texas.

Does anyone use anything like this, have ideas or suggestions?

Careful, them are fightin words, partner. :)

If you think you are serious and may make a couple batches a year, consider getting a vacuum pump for transferring and racking. That way everything can stay on the floor and no counter space needed. Because of chronic back issues I never ever lift a box of juice or full carboy. I have drilled an extra hole in the top of my primary lid and even vacuum into the primary. If one of the sponsors of this forum sells what looks like a great one with many uses.

I know you don't have one in San Angelo but Costco has a really nice stainless steel workbench for $120 shipped. Samsclub may have one as well. This would be perfect as a start if you don't want to build something (really heavy) out of wood. Stainless steel cleans up easily and is very wine friendly. Two of these would be perfect IMHO.

Stainless Steel Cart

Thanks for that link ibglowin. Here this weekend I am going to adjust where my kitchen table is so I can see exactly how much space I will have to work with, but I think that workbench will work nicely. :try

Latest posts

Back