Hello from Watervillr, Ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_Kowalka

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. I am aspiring to be a vintner/wine maker in the future and am researching the planning stages thus far.

Welcome to the forum, Matt. I had to look to see where Waterville was located. I used to go the Perrysburg every year for the Packard Meet at the Holiday in, right off or I75. I had to be fairly close to your location at the time. Good luck with the planning and ask away. There are a lot of members here in Ohio so you will find lots of support.

Hello Rocky. I actually work in Perrysburg in Levi's Commons Square and it us 15 minutes from Waterville. This looks like a good forum to gain valuable information from. Where are you from?

Okay, that's not too far then. Are you a grape grower or own a winery (curious if there are many winery owners on here)?

Matt, welcome to Wine Making Talk. Lots of great people here and feel free to ask questions any time. Looking at your avatar you must have one heck of a tall basement and large harvest for those kind of barrels! :)

That picture was from Sutter Home in Napa. I work in the glass container industry and went out on vacation to enjoy.

Okay, that's not too far then. Are you a grape grower or own a winery (curious if there are many winery owners on here)?

Matt, I am not a grape grower nor a winery owner, just a hobbyist. We do have at least a couple of winery owners on the forum and others that work at wineries.

That's great. I am looking for this to be a hobby as well and maybe to start a small winery at our family farm down the road.

Matt, if you are even considering planting grapes for wine, I would get them in the ground as soon as possible. It will be at least 3 years until you get any kind of yield from them and more like 5 before you get an appreciable yield from them. Grapeman on the forum is located in Upstate New York and can be a real help to you. You will have to choose your varieties wisely and find out from the Michigan or Ohio Extensions Services which varieties grow and prosper in Ohio and survive our winters.

Hello Matt,

I just signed up. It looks like we will be learning the ins and outs together.
Welcome. (errr....Can I welcome a new person if I'm brand new? I never did figure out protocol for that...)

Matt

There is a start-up vineyard in Oak Openings. The daughter of one of my clients. Mostly Marquette grapes. I was supposed to help pick Sat 8/31 but could not. I can take you over for a tour.

Latest posts

Back