Hello from Seattle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabang

Junior
Reaction score
I'm Mark Clouse from Seattle and I've made 2 vintages from whole grapes and I have 3 kits in various stages of maturation. I've read "Home Winemaking - Step by Step" which I really liked. Then read about 1/2 of "Techniques in Home Winemaking" but decided I would use this book more for reference and now I'm reading "From Vines to Wines" and I think this is a good book as well. I've read the "Red Wine Making" handbook and other tutorials from More Wines and I appreciate their contribution. I've been gathering equipment and stuff and hope to make a trip to Eastern Washington State to scrounge around for grape sources. Looking forward to some insightful threads!

mark

Last edited:
Welcome to the party, mark

I'm just south of you in Federal Way, also searching out grape sources in eastern washington. Originally from that side of the state, myself.. What kinds of wines have you made thus far? I'm still trying to broaden my horizons with grape wines, but have made several fruit wines.

Hope to see you stick around, this is a great place to learn

Welcome Mark. I'm over on the east side, in Newcastle. This forum has helped me tremendously in my first few months at this hobby (2nd kit now in primary).

Great place!

Welcome! Good to have another Northwestern wine maker. Lots of good help on here and friendly people too.

Welcome On Board. Did you bring your life preserver.:) Word of advise, don't try to go cheap, it won't work. Just dive in

Welcome to the party, mark

I'm just south of you in Federal Way, also searching out grape sources in eastern washington. Originally from that side of the state, myself.. What kinds of wines have you made thus far? I'm still trying to broaden my horizons with grape wines, but have made several fruit wines.

Hope to see you stick around, this is a great place to learn

Thanks so much for the hearty welcome!

The whole grape vintages were made with 100% Merlot and the 2009 turned out really good and the 2010 was less so. They were made in the totally natural way with native yeasts and no SO2. We didn't have any problems with undesirable aromas or flavors, but without a little cab or more tannins, they were simple wines without much complexity. The fruit is quickly diminishing from the 2009 (good thing it is almost gone) and the 2010 is still hanging around making the bulk of our daily wine consumption.

In the Kit department, I've made a Shiraz, White Zinfandel, and a Brunello. I like doing the kits as a way to keep practicing until the next vintage rolls around.

Latest posts

Back