Hello from Arkansas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I took a look at what I had tonight.

Here is my Airlock before I opened the lid.
resizewine_1.jpg

Looks like it built a little pressure during the day, no bubbles yet.
smiley19.gif

Here is what was under the lid.

resizewine_2.jpg

And here is what I read on the Hydrometer.

resizewine_3.jpg

So as you can see its a little above 1.09 look between 1.094, and 1.096.
I pushed the pulp down as best I could put the lid and airlock back on. Now we are just sittin back with our fingers crossed. Let me know of any suggestions. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful words.

Actually looking at the hydrometer it look a bit above 1.096. Oh well maybe it will get my wife drunk a little faster. FUN FUN
smiley15.gif
Edited by: bfletch13

't believe you are going to get a very accurate reading with all that pulp in there bfletch

Thanks for the welcome Ramona.
smiley1.gif

Waldo
I'm gonna go to the hardware store today and get some of those Nylon paint strainers. I think that is what people suggested to use. Or panty hose. So after that I will take a reading and see where I'm at. But we have bubbles this morning.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Hope everyone down in the Southern States are getting over the terrible storms...Such tragedies for so many people....Sorry!!!

Bubbles is a good thing.
Thank God! All we got was a foot of snow. I would rather shovel the snow. I hope everyone is OK.

Edited by: swillologist

Yes it was a bad night the other night. Thank god we didn't have any of the weather here. I feel so sorry for the families that were hit by it.

OK here is whatwe did today.

First I went to Lowe's and got a bunch of stuff. Namely another 2 Gallon Bucket and some Nylon paint strainers.

So here is a picture of what it looked like before the strainer bags.

resizewine_4.jpg

I had my lovely wife hold the bag for me while I poured the must threw it into another bucket. Here is what it looked like after.

resizewine_5.jpg

HOLY COW BATMAN!!!! What a difference. Will never go without putting it in a bag again.

So Nextwe rechecked my SG sincethe pulp could have keptus from getting an accurate reading.

resizewine_6.jpg

Looks like it went down from 1.096 to 1.094.
So we put the lid and airlock back on and will keep on keepin on.

And just for Waldo!!! Here we are tasting the must.

Here is my lovely wife. She is upset that she didn't have makeup on.
taste1.jpg

And here I am. I don'treally give a ____ what I look like. I know I'm
B E A utiful on the inside.

taste2.jpg

So will keep you all updated on our progress with this.
Again thanks to everyone for your advise and we hope that the few little troubles we have had helps someone else in the future.

Oh and it tasted very very good. Was a bit sweet but I'm sure that will change.

That sweetness will definitely change. Good looking couple there! Its great to put a face to the name.

Looks great !! What are You twogoing to start next?Now that you have some extra equipment. Edited by: mississippi mud

I think I will start this tomorrow.

Award Winning Apfelwein Recipe (German Hard Cider)
Placed 1st in the Cider & Apple Wine category at the BJCP sanctioned Alamo Cerveza fest (out of 11 entries) and took 2nd place for Best of Show for the main category of Meads & Ciders (out of 50 entries).

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel

1. <LI>First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
    <LI>Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
    <LI>Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
    <LI>Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
    <LI>Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
    <LI>Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
    <LI>Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
    <LI>Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
    <LI>Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.</LI>

This recipe is courtesy of EdWort from homebrewtalk.com

Good luck with the recipe.

I do have a question about it though. How do you fill up the carboy to the top using it as a primary fermenter. Apple anything fermenting foams quite a bit and will run through the airlock. I would either use a primary bucket or a 6 gallon carboy to start it in and after the violent fermentation is over I would then transfer to the 5 gallon carboy. Also how do you take 5 gallons of apple juice, add 2 pounds or sugar and still end up with only 5 gallons of juice? I know it dissolves in the juice, but there is bound to be some increase in volume take place.

If you make it as listed, please keep us filled in with the progress. I will be curiosly watching for progress reports.

I think it was a typo all the pictures show it in 6 gallon.

Wait no it wasn't
"There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKG84Md2GMk"]see here[/ame]). I'm able to fit all but 4 oz. of my five gallons in the bottle. Ferment at room temperature."

This came further down in the thread.

Welcome bfletch. This is the place to come for questions, answers, fun and laughs.

Latest posts

Back