Hello from Arkansas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poacher

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to wine making and new to the forums. I have never actually made wine before but I use to help my uncle do it. I moved, and don't get to help him anymore. So I figured I would give it a try on my own. I have 6 gallons of Peach wine going right now. It is from a kit. Figured that this would be the easiest way to get my feet wet. So to all you experienced brewers get ready as I will have a ton of ??'s for you. Thanks for having me and look forward to getting to know you guys.

Welcome to you bfletch13. You have come to the right spot. We are new here also, only on our 2nd kit.

Welcome bfletch13. A lot of good info here & great people to answer your questions. Im new too working on my 2nd kit. Also from Arkansas. What part of the state are you in. Hope tonights weather isent to bad for you.

I'm from Fort Smith. It was storming here earlier but has passed already. My wife and I are about to try to make a gallon of Strawberry Wine. So Wish us luck. We tried lastnight but I messed it all up.

Why dont you post the recipe so as we may inspect it and help you out if needed.

OK Here it is. I got it from another website but can't remember wich. So credit goes to them whoever you were.

3Lbs of Frozen Strawberries
11oz Can of Welch's White Grape Juice
1 Campden Tablet
2 Tsp Citric Acid
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
1Lbs 14Oz of Light Brown Sugar
Water to fill to 1Gallon.

That is all that is in it now.

Will be adding the yeast to it tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not to far off the mark. Also With all the pulp in it right now will it effect the SG reading?

I think I would have put the strawberries in a strainer bag, if you didn't. I started a batch of that same thing last week and didn't strain it and it was a flop. I started a new batch this week using a strainer bag and so far it is doing OK. I'm fairly new to this also so I'm sure you will be getting a lot of advice
smiley20.gif

I just thought this would all settle out. That is the reason for racking right? To separate the liquid from the stuff that has settled to the bottom.

What is your starting SG? Everything looks Ok. the only thing I dont like about recipes is that they never state to adjust sugar to varying fruit sweetness. Most fruit wines should not have an SG over 1.090 so as that the flavor of the fruit is not hidden by alcohol.

I just checked the SG and its a bit high. 1.12 is what I'm getting. Any advice on that?

I would water it down or turn this into a bigger batch as you will be making rocket fuel and will most likely not taste any thing but alc. Adding everything but sugar would be the best bet. This was exactly what i meant by the recipes not being good. You should put everything in except sugar and thn add sugar to your desired Sg which like i said with this type of wine should be around 1.090.

Can you not watch the SG and when it got down to say 1.01 or so stop the fermenting cycle? Not producing as much alcohol and also making a sweeter wine? I'm sure its not as easy as it seems but thought maybe that would work.

OK I went back and added some more water to thin it out. Got the SP down to 1.091 or so. So I will be adding they yeast to it tomorrow. Any other advise would be awsome thanks you your help so far.Edited by: bfletch13

Welcome to the forum bfletch. Im down the road a piece from you, in Benton. I did not see any pecic enzyme in your recipe. I would definately add some and let it work until tomorrow before I pitched the yeast to it.

If I put the Pectic Enzyme in it today I need to wait another day to put the yeast in?

Welcome FLetch. I'm new to this hobby too, but this is a great place to learn. Never made any fruit wines, but plenty of folks here have. I'd be interested to follow your progress. Keep the posts coming.

Ken

Latest posts

Back