Hello from Alberta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanterax

Reaction score
I've been a member here for a while with few posts (mostly reading) and realized that I never introduced myself. I'm Marc from Calgary. :)

I used to be in Ontario last summer when we relocated. I started making wine in early 2009 and when we moved in the summer of 2010, I just started to get some awesome wine. I was getting real juice from a local store called Magnotta and the bottles were turning our real good after a year. Then the move came and the movers wanted to charge almost $3000 to move 120 bottles. I had to part with my bottles. Gave them all away to ecstatic friends.

Now I'm starting from scratch again. Finished one cheap Pinot Noir kit two weeks ago and started a more premium Valpolicella kit last weekend (which I'm taking great care of). Took me a while to restart the hobby because I had to build the work area in the basement, bring in the water lines, sewers line, etc, and other projects in the new house took priority.

I didn't mind dealing with breaking a mortgate, packing up for a move, having things broken by the movers... but giving up all my wine and restarting from zero is what bummed me the most. Gonna take a while to recover. ;)

Hi Marc,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Wow, I feel your pain, that had to hurt but I'm glad you didn't give up and are starting again.

Welcome back. Keep the faith. You'll be back in stride in no time at all.

Hi Marc, welcome aboard. Maybe you could have offered the movers half the wine. Too bad though.

Over time that will be nothing compared to where this journey will be taking you. We have a great bunch on here as you will see if you haven't already. If you need any help just ask.

Thanks everyone. The inventory is slowing rebuilding itself, but it's the aging that'll take a while. I got great hopes for the summer so I become popular with the new neighbors. ;)

Hi Marc - that must have hurt to leave your wine - $3000, wow! I would have driven up and hauled it out to Alberta for you for much less - wouldn't guarantee it would all arrive though!!
Welcome to a great forum.
.. Doug

Welcome! Sad story. It would have been very hard to have given up 150 bottles of my own wine, so I can sympathize.

Hi Marc - that must have hurt to leave your wine - $3000, wow!

The movers said that they're very cautious when it comes to wine because they never know what they're dealing with. Could be worthless vinegar or rare pricey bottles. Their insurance company imposes that they build special crates with lots of foam and stored in a special area of the truck. I figured it was too much hassle and it would costs a lot less to start from scratch. Just have to take the hit and recover. :sm

Welcome neighbor. Man that sure does suck but at least your back at it.

Is there a home brew shop in Airdrie or do you have to go to Calgary. I haven't been to any of them yet but next trip up there I plan on checking a couple out.

Is there a home brew shop in Airdrie or do you have to go to Calgary.

Surprisingly enough, I found more winemaking shops in Airdrie than in Brampton, Ontario. A city almost 20 times the size of Airdrie. Heck, even "4th and Vine" (a bottle label company I used a lot) is headquartered in Airdrie. So I'm in wine making heaven. :)

Found a few good shops in Calgary as well not far from my work so I'm covered. There's no way I'll ever regret the move. :)

Welcome good to have you on board sorry for your lost but sounds like your still in good hands where your at.

Welcome and I am glad it worked out for the best..

Latest posts

Back