Has anyone made cranberry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joan, this is not going to be an active fermentation like a red wine. Its not going to look like its doing anything other than the sizzling especially if the Cotes Des Blanc took over. Both of these yeasts are slow cookers.

There is an article in Brew Your Own by John Palmer: "Brew Scene Investigation." I guess we can call this topic "Wine Scene Investigation." I am just hoping for Joan's sake, we can soon stamp "Case Closed." Take heart that your bad experience has provided a fountain of education and interest to the rest of us. Got to watch out now for that benzoic acid.

I read the BSI.Joan,let the starter work for at least 24 hours so it will have lots of active cells when you add it.I started a cranberry tonight,but its made with old orchard frozen cranberry juice.I used 19 cans and 1 pound of sugar for 5 gallons.I used the cotes de blank so it will die at somewhere between 13-14%.Starting sg was 1110.I made a small test batch of it and it was really good,and finished dry.This one will be about the same.I figured 3 gallons wasnt going to last till the holidays,and everyone will want some so I had to make more.I used 5 tsps tartaric,and 1 and 1/4 of tannin.Its really good.Yours will get going once you add the starter,and like wade said,that yeast is a little slow,but good.
lockdude

Morning report!

The starter is bubbling along almost as vigorously as the 4 1/2 gallons in the primary! It was sooo wonderful seeing them working this morning. (I was up and hour early to check on them! I swear sometimes wine watching is worse than worrying about my children!!)

Again, thank you all for your help. You're been fantastic! I owe you big time!

Bubble baby, bubble! Sounds like it got going pretty good even without the starter. Wait a while and pop it back in there and it should be all set
smiley20.gif

You got that right, brother!!!

I added the starter to the fermentor and it's happily bubbling away.
smiley4.gif
It was torture, I tell ya!!

Joan,

Please update us on your cranberry wine. I am thinking about ordering a pail from Walker's. Do you recommend it?

Hey DFW!

Well...it has good color and flavor but it's a tad tart! It would be better if it was backsweetened a bit just to take that edge off. Certainly the price is good or rather it was when I bought mine 2 years ago.

It's a bear to start...be sure to make a starter. Would I make it again? I'm not so sure as there are a whole lot of other flavors I want to make.

Joan sorry you had this problem with the cranberry. I too had this same problem with Walkers Cranberry. As said in an earlier post the acid in cranberries doesn't like to be fermented. Mine was real tough to get started. I also called Walkers and they said that they have had complaints about the cranberry getting started. (this was last year)Im glad you got it going. As to the HIGH acid in the juices, I too was concerned however after making over 25 HOT PACK juices the acid levels are of no concern IF and I mean IF you back sweeten. Then you will be quite surprised at how clean and crisp your wine will taste. Those who have tasted my Blackberry and Blueberry will attest to this. One more thing on various juices the PH was 3.10 to 3.50

Bill,

I saw that Walker's offers hot press grape juice in various varieties. Have you made any of the grape varieties? If so, how were your results?

dfwwino, I have made the Concord, Riesling,Chardonnay,and the Traminette. Theseall made wonderful wines. No problems. These juices come with yeast(Montrechet) and a packet of yeast nutrient. If you want to add oak this you must add your own. Also I found that these will benefit from A Cold Stabilization for about 1 week.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Back