Has anyone made cranberry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering about the karma thing, dfw! I've never had this much go wrong. I'm starting to get a tad nervous wondering about what else might go wrong with it!
smiley1.gif

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen! I appreciate it more than you know! I'll keep you posted!

This is probably all that will go wrong with this batch and it will be the go medal winner.

Houston, we have a problem! I got hold of a pH meter and the pH reads 1.06. I can safely say my yeast is in a hostile environment! Can it be saved?

Joan don't fret too much. I really doubt that reading. If you have a digital pH meter, I would say it needs calibrating or the probe has gone bad. The strongest acid there is, is only 1, so I doubt that the cranberry juice is 1.06. That would likely eat through the plastic jug. If it is truly that acidic, I think Walker's would gladly send you a new jug to avoid problems! The Karma continues!
smiley11.gif

I soaked the brand new meter and did a do-over... it now reads 4.94. Am I in a good range?

I have to leave for work...any and all replies/suggestions/help won't be read until I get home.

I think we need to send in a Wine Rescue team. Do we have such a special forces unit? 4.94 does not seem right either. Wines generally have a PH between 3.2 to 3.8, and if outside that range, it is only a .1 or .2variance. A PH of 3 is 10 times more acidic than a PH of 4. The higher the PH, the lower the acidity and vice versa. If a PH of wine is too high, e.g., over 4, it can be unstable and subject to microbial infection. If a PH of wine is too low, it will inhibit not only microbial infection, but also yeast fermentation. Because you're getting no fermentation, I suspect your must haseither too much sulfites or too low a PH (which might be possible with highly acidic cranberry). I would have expected the PH to be lower, especially given the juice is cranberry. Perhaps the probe is bad. I would read through your PH meter instructions, make sure you calibrate it in accordance with instructions, make sure your buffering solution is good, and try again. Take multiple readings to ensure you're getting the right reading. Edited by: dfwwino

Joan like dfw says, you need to calibrate the probe using the two buffer solutions. One is generally 4.01 and the other 7.01. I suspect that you didn't get those solutions with the meter and haven't calibrated it yet. Once that is done, it is really easy to get an accurate reading. Walkers should be able to give you the pH values.

I would definitely call Walker's and tell them the problems you're having. My understanding is that the juice is supposed to be balanced so that fermentation starts without a hassle. Something is out of wack. We're on day 5 now.

If they used northern cranberrys,it could be bensoic acid thats causing the problem.Did you try to make a watered down starter?
lockdude

Very good point, Lockdude. Benzoic acid does inhibit or prevent yeast fermentation and cranberries can contain high levels of benzoic acid. Now is there any way to measure benzoic acid? Joan, I would call Walker's and see if other customers are having problems with fermentation of the cranberry juice. And if there's still no activity, get a watered down starter underway. Edited by: dfwwino

I'm finally getting some action! It's weak but it seems to be working. I'm not touching anything until it's rolling!!!

I just spoke with Walkers. I was told the cranberry does take several days to start, it starts off slow, but will eventually be more vigorous. I guess I'm okay. I think! I asked about the pH on it but she didn't have the numbers right there but would if I needed them. Now if someone will jump start my heart! I swear getting a batch going is the hardest part of winemaking for me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for holding my hand thru all of this. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

Joan,
Lockdude brought up an excellent point that I had not considered. Unlike Southern blueberries, Northern blueberries and cranberries may contain high levels of benzoic acid, which is a preservative. Because I make blueberry wine with Southern blueberries, I have not personally experienced this issue, but have read elsewhere about it. Now that you have some initial fermentation underway, my guess is that the dose of 50 ppm sulfites and the natural benzoic acid in cranberries does a double whammy on yeast. Therefore, it probably takes a few days until SO2in the must leaves solution as gas for the SO2 level to drop enough so the double whammy effect is gone. No science, just a guess. Because you now have some activity, I guess that the SO2 level has dropped significantly andI would wait and see what happens in the next twelve hours. If, by then,the fermentation activity has not increased, I would do as lockdude suggests and create a yeast starter with 1/2 must and 1/2 water. A watered-down starter will reduce the acid level and SO2 level in the volume of must used for the starter. The problem is that you will need to transfer the remaining must to a larger container because once you have a healthy starter, you will be pitching a larger starter back into the remaining must, which will be more than five gallons. Edited by: dfwwino

How much are you talking with 1/2 must and 1/2 water. Do you mean use half of the total must?

Lockdude's post motivated a little research with Google. There's actually a scientific article about benzoic acid in northern berries, which states:

"The most problematic compound with reference to winemaking from lingonberry is benzoic acid, which contributes to the acidity of the berry. As a microbicidal compound, benzoic acid also prevents fermentation of lingonberry juice. Thus, the known pH-dependent ability of Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast to uptake benzoic acid from solutions was applied. By suspending 15-20%(w/w) of the yeast for 10min in undiluted lingonberry juice, the benzoic acid concentration was reduced by 75-91%, titratable acids by about 14% and pH increased by 0.1 units. The resulting undiluted juice was successfully fermented with a new yeast inoculum. Thus, yeast may be used as a selective absorbent to remove a certain fermentation-hindering component from the juice. These results offer new insights into berry juice fermentation."
http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2003/isbn9512264358/

I also found a Treatise on Chemistry, which states that cranberries withstand fermentation and putrefication better than most fruits due to benzoic acid in them.

Therefore, Walkers probably does not need to treat the must with sulfites, or at least not with a full dose of 50 ppm,prefermentation because of the presence of the preservative benzoic acid. You might suggest to Walker's that it determine the level of benzoic acid in its northern berry musts before dosing with sulfites.Edited by: dfwwino

Never mind... I found my answer! Thanks Appleman and Lockdude!

Thanks dfw!

It's still not making much progress so I made a starter. How long should I let that work before adding it back to the primary?

Latest posts

Back