Yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldcecil

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a cranberry on Sunday - about 1.5 gallons. The recipe called for 2-3 lbs of sugar and the juice was unsweetened Checked spec gravity and it was a whopping 1.170 (even had my son double check it), pitched the yeast and nothing. so last night I came home from work, transferred it to 3 gallon jug, added more juice and water and got it to 1.075, still nothing! Can I add more yeast or just try to be patient and wait!

Attachments

• B032F974-93B6-4241-9D14-95A97EF4D7EF.jpeg
    B032F974-93B6-4241-9D14-95A97EF4D7EF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nope nothing! I checked pH - it is about a 4.0
At pH 4.0 we have shorter shelf life like beers do, so this would be an early drinker. To get shelf life we like to see 3.5 to 3.2.
Cranberry at pH 4 is unusual. (above 4.0 is not a good food process) ,,, was this a juice blend? ,,, I would expect cranberry in water to be about 2.7 pH. Does it taste acid? If so I would recheck the pH meter with 4.0 buffer. Yeast like pH 4 so that shouldn’t be inhibiting growth.
A starter done with sugar water is a fix. As said above add some must at an hour > add more must at two hours > etc > let the yeast adapt to the juice.

At pH 4.0 we have shorter shelf life like beers do, so this would be an early drinker. To get shelf life we like to see 3.5 to 3.2.
Cranberry at pH 4 is unusual. (above 4.0 is not a good food process) ,,, was this a juice blend? ,,, I would expect cranberry in water to be about 2.7 pH. Does it taste acid? If so I would recheck the pH meter with 4.0 buffer. Yeast like pH 4 so that shouldn’t be inhibiting growth.
A starter done with sugar water is a fix. As said above add some must at an hour > add more must at two hours > etc > let the yeast adapt to the juice.
Got it. The juice was a 100% cranberry juice - cranberries and water. It has a lot of sugar in it, but I just checked it and the yeast is finally working, there are bubbles everywhere!

@Ldcecil you mentioned an SG reading of 1.170 but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a lot of sugar. The hydrometer measures density and not amount of sugar. Let me share my current numbers as an example...

I used unsweetened cranberry juice that has, according to the label, about 36 gr of sugar per liter. That translates to an SG measurement of a bit less than 1.015. I only used 2 liters because of the incredibly high acid. I added frozen cranberries which gives about 120 gr more sugar. My volume (with water) is now close to 4 gallons and a total of about 200 gr of sugar from the cranberries and juice. That works out to about 16 gr/l which should be an SG of around 1.005. Prior to adding sugar my reading is 1.032 which translates to almost 90gr/l which I know I don't have. There's other things affecting density.

I don't have the answers, still learning, and do what you will with my numbers. My sugar additions no longer rely solely on SG readings.

I’ve made a cranberry wine long time ago with fresh cranberries and I didn’t have a ph meter. The must didn’t wNt to ferment until I devised the must in two buckets and add water that increased ph. The wine is still very acidic. I have a few bottles left and I don’t share it with anyone. Probably my worst wine.
You said ph is about 4.0. How did you check ph. Calibrated ph meter or strips?

Latest posts

Back