Has anyone experience with making Gewürztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
I am considering making my next brew a Gewurztraminer, Does anyone have experience with this wine? Can you tell me the properties and taste of this wine. I can't seem to get anything more than its German and its strong on the tongue.

I am considering making my next brew a Gewurztraminer, Does anyone have experience with this wine? Can you tell me the properties and taste of this wine. I can't seem to get anything more than its German and its strong on the tongue.

Here’s a little more:
Gewürztraminer wines are highly aromatic with a complex nose that includes flowers, lychee fruit, perfume, honey and spice, and have medium to low acidity. The combination of spice and slight sweetness make Gewürztraminer the smart diners’ go-to wine for pairing with hot Asian and Caribbean foods, like stir-fries and curries.

I actually grow Gewürztraminer grapes (it has a different local name here, but the same grape). It can be a fussy grape, very dependent on soil and climate to reach its best potential. For example, many say the French Gewürztraminer wines are better than the German ones. So where you source the kit may matter in the final wine results.

Aside from the above mentioned, this wine also goes well with fatty wild game (if you hunt, or know someone who does).

Gewürztraminer is not an uncommon wine one can purchase. If really not sure, picking up a bottle to try is to consider,and may be useful as comparative later to your own results (unless you really like that "unknown" factor and just want to be surprised when you are done with your own wine).

Bought a 23L kit today. It is the best I could do, considering I am deep in the boonies here in Okie land.

I've made a batch using a smaller kit. I'm not a white wine guy.... I find them bland to boring. I like Gminer, my word, just because it does have some flavor some bite to it. I like it with Mexican food.

Thanks , Mismost. I'm just learning about this wine and since I have never drank any of this thought I'd like to try it.

I finally got around to buying a bottle of Gewurztraminer. Its from Mendocino County, Cali. I opened it and did my assessment . I must admit this is the worst misbalanced wine I have tasted in quite a while. While it pours inti the glass nice and bright, and the nose is nice, The first taste gave me a shock. It is harsh and bites the back of my tongue. I have made better wine while sitting in a foxhole.
I have a 6 gallon kit being shipped. What can be done to soften this wine?

I don't think there is any particular reason to think that the wine you purchased is indicative of Gewürztraminer as a whole. I suggest you simply make the wine according to usual best practices. Don't try to monkey with it in response to an illusive problem.

I agree with Paul. It would be wrong to change something that you don't already know the taste of. I have found with the few various Gewtz I have had ,is the taste in each was different yet sort of similar.It's like trying a cabernet or merlot and think they all taste the same.
My 2 cents is, follow the kit instructions and let it sit a few months ,then taste.If unsatisfied post here and I'm sure someone would have some suggestions

Agree with the above suggestions to just go with the kit "as is". It is like cooking. Follow the recipe the first time, and if you like the results, then start experimenting with the ingredients when you do it again.

Also note, most of a wine's flavor profile will come from the quality of the grapes. One uses different yeasts to fine tune the results. But fine tuning requires a first trial baseline which to compare.

Yes...to my tastes the wine has a Spice...maybe what you call bite...or that may have been CO2 also...or both. I also taste a mineral note in the kit I made.
It is different from every other boring bland dry white wine I have made, I like that about it...but again, whites just don't do much for me.

I must admit that my impression of Gewerztraminer is limited. First off, This bottle from California has a twist off cap like Boons Farm or Granny Green Springs (Clue number one). Secondly it has pictures of Mexican workers carrying the German grapes. Now don't start jumping up and down hollering Racist!(Clue number two). Thirdly while America produces some fine wines, this German grape is produced in California. Can it have the proper soil for this Noble grape.
Thanks for your support and advice. I will proceed with this recipe as listed by the instructions. then I will age it in bulk for a long period before making any adjustments.

Thanks , I'll dispose of this bottle in the usual manner, then begin my search. I live in a small town in Oklahoma, so not as much upper end wines in the liquor stores here. Yeah, I'm a red neck. They sell beer! Lots of beer!

Secondly it has pictures of Mexican workers carrying the German grapes. Now don't start jumping up and down hollering Racist!(Clue number two)

I guess it all depends on how one decides to interpret it. Might also sound like two cultures working together. Very progressive. ;)

Can it have the proper soil for this Noble grape.

CA has a lot of different soils. So the soil may be okay. But the local micro-climate may not be. This grape is more a cool weather grape. Cool summer weather is not a noted CA grape growing regions phenomenon. :)

Go north or east for better Gewürstraminer.

Latest posts

Back