Has anyone experience with making Gewürztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta put my two cents in. I really enjoy Alsatian Gewurztraminer. It’s very similar to Riesling however a fuller mouthfeel and more spice and floral aromatics and not nearly the minerality or acidity of a Resiling. I’ve been wine tasting in that region several times and feel it is some of the best in the world (for Gewurtz that is). I have never had a Gewurtz from the US that I have thought was worth the bottle it was in ;). If you can find one from that region try it. They can be dry, semi-sweet or even (very) sweet. I’ve had them desert style (Vendage Tardives) and they are quite good if you like a sweet spicy tartness similar to a LH resiling but with a fuller mouth feel. I expect you will go dry with yours.

Did a quick search and here’s a decanter article better at description than I am:

http://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews-tastings/what-is-gewurztraminer-like-300561/

I wasn’t too impressed with his food pairings so I will recommend duck, baked chicken (Alsatian style), and light pork dishes. If you have a German restaurant or if really lucky an Alsatian one go there and they will have a good bottle on the menu to try.

Quick side note, Alsace is a French region on the German border that is in many ways more German than French. It has changed hands over the centuries many times. The villages are story book worthy. . I drank all my bottles from my last trip over.... need to go back. It is an under rated French wine region and might be my favorite!

I hope your kit turns out well as these can be fantastic wines!

I wasn’t too impressed with his food pairings so I will recommend duck, baked chicken (Alsatian style), and light pork dishes.

You may have missed it, but I did suggest fatty wild game. That includes both duck and boar (i.e. pork). ;)

Alsace is a French region on the German border ..... It is an under rated French wine region

Alsace mostly produces white wines. And their wines are sweeter than German Gewürztraminer. And red wines are very much in vogue over whites, especially in the USA. And sweet white and rosé wines do have some unfortunate history in the US. So I suspect that may be some reasons this region is less known in the USA than the red or dry white wine producing regions in France or Europe in general.

Side note, there is an interesting Pinot gris possible historical connection between Alsace and Hungary.

Last edited:
You may have missed it, but I did suggest fatty wild game. That includes both duck and boar (i.e. pork). ;)

I was referring to the food suggestions in the decanter article ;). I fully agree with your suggestion. I was reminiscing on some of the dishes I’ve enjoyed a good bottle with to make some more specific recommendations.

Agreed that German wines tend dryer than Alsace. I like German Reisling better, but prefer Alsatian Gewurtz. Seems to have more character and depth to me in general, and specifically some of the grand cru’s are fantastic. That said, there’s just something about the region, especially the cuisine that I really enjoy. Lots of heavy food, with both French & German influence. I feel that part of the enjoyment of wine is the memories the aromas and flavors evoke so I’m sure that plays a part in my preferences.

Everyone’s tastes are different. I have a friend who only drinks Chardonnay. I typically prefer reds, but if reaching for a white it will be an Alsatian Gewurtz for floral, spicy and full to go with a rich fowl dish or a NZ Sav Blanc for acidic & tart to go with shellfish.

Man that sounds pompous.

Thanks for the article, Doug. It was very informative, I did notice that the author didn't give a clear critique of all five wines , but the three that he did critique were very in formative,
Unfortunately, I live in a very small town and my choices of wine stores is rather limited. However when I get up to Okie City, I will go on a search of some of the wines listed in the article.

Unfortunately, I live in a very small town and my choices of wine stores is rather limited. However when I get up to Okie City, I will go on a search of some of the wines listed in the article.

I am confident that Doug and Balatonwine are correct; however, I doubt you will have much luck even in OKC for some of their suggestions.

I will reiterate my suggestion, which is to find a simple Columbia Valley offering. Chateau Ste. Michelle and Hogue are two quite common labels, and are both affordable. Both are done in an off-dry style, which may or may not be what you are looking for.

Here is a "field guide":
https://www.vivino.com/toplists/top-10-washington-state-gewurztraminer-wines-right-now-globa

Fun fact: my lineage is 1/4 Alsatian. Whenever I had to explain what "Alsatian" was, I would describe Alsace as "either French or German, depending on who won the last war." My relatives emigrated when it was part of the German Empire.

Everyone’s tastes are different. I have a friend who only drinks Chardonnay. I typically prefer reds, but if reaching for a white it will be an Alsatian Gewurtz for floral, spicy and full to go with a rich fowl dish or a NZ Sav Blanc for acidic & tart to go with shellfish.

Man that sounds pompous.

Not pompous at all. You just know your palate and preferences. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest. :)

And the variety of options and personal preferences is what makes wine making and drinking so much fun.

Last edited:
I doubt you will have much luck even in OKC for some of their suggestions.

I am currently very, very ignorant about current US state wine law. What are the options for Internet purchase out of state for Oklahoma? If there are none, then the world is your oyster. Well, at least the "world" that is made or imported into the USA (Federal law to import wine is still complicated). But I do know some states may limit personal wine shipments from out of state. That is unfortunate for wine lovers who do not have access to well diversified in state options at brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:
Oklahoma alcohol laws are strange due to the Indian alcoholism history here. You can only buy 3.2% beer in convenience stores and grocery stores. To buy 6% beer, you must go to a liquor store.Liquor stores are limited as to how much alcohol you are allowed to purchase at one time. The wine selection in most package stores is dismal at best.
I will do a search of laws concerning wine shipment and investigate different brands of Gewerz.

I managed to get my hands on a bottle of "Sutter Home" Gewurztraminer and a bottle of "Chateau Ste. Michelle". The Chateau is from Washington State, Columbia Valley. I'll have to open that some other time.

The Sutter Home is nice, not too dry, has a very aromatic nose and with a bit of spice. A rather nice wine for $9.

I managed to get my hands on a bottle of "Sutter Home" Gewurztraminer and a bottle of "Chateau Ste. Michelle". The Chateau is from Washington State, Columbia Valley. I'll have to open that some other time.

The Sutter Home is nice, not too dry, has a very aromatic nose and with a bit of spice. A rather nice wine for $9.
That's what I think of when I think of Gewurztraminer. It isn't one of my favorites, but it isn't horrible.

Tried a Gewurz from Columbia Valley, Washington. A completely different wine ! Very nice. If my kit wine turns out anything close to this, I'll be a happy camper.

Good news. I was worried after you weren’t happy with the other one. Thought you might be ready to take your batch outside and :gbit

You'll have to let us know how yours comes out. I'd like to try a Gewurztraminer myself.
To me, this wine has a unique flavor, but that flavor seems to come in 2 variations. One I like, the other, not so much.
So whenever I buy a bottle I'm always wondering if it will be the one I like or not.
Seems to me that the Chateau Ste. Michelle was a good one.

Latest posts

Back