Hard Apple Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ippy, you really should add the k-meta or campden and sorbate and wait
a little while then add juice. Ive done it that way and hadf no
problems but have been told not to do that, to let let the 2 chems get
in there and get to work first. I thunk just adding the juice will
probably sweeten it enough for you. Appleman is right about using the
conditioner. I added it to 1 batch carefully and it changed the taste
drastically. I threw the rest out!

After reading everyone's coments, I am not going to sweeten with the conditioner, hubby wanted a drier wine, so he gets his wine. Anything for my man.......lol....... I have 60 bottles of sweeten wine just for me!......lol. Here are picts of bottling the green apple Riesling and the Blackberry Cabernet

Just took a few since we were busy and the cats were trying to see what was going on
20070401_064540_100_0229_Small.jpg

Yes, we added the apple juice to the hard cider, I guess its a wait and see for now! so its topped off . lets see if we really do have a wine thief..lol

Pssst Ippymiss. If you don't have a wine thief, they are very handy. When I asked if you had one, it was in reference to drawing samples out frequently, thus lowering the carboy. If you get one, which is a special plastic tube, put it under lock and key and only use it as necessary to draw testing samples, etc. Keep out of reach of minors- or thirsty spouses. Here is a link to George's:
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5432

HaHaHa..... yes we do have a real wine thief....... But the missing wine , we figured was the gas and foam leaving the carboy after we used the drill to mix very well.......lol. Had to be,,,,,
smiley2.gif

Well....it's been a little over 2 weeks since I put 10 ounces of corn sugar into 69 beer bottles of apple cider to carbonate it....

[should have used 3/4 cup, but used 1 1/4 cup in what I thought was a much larger batch than the last one..]

So...it is already carbonated...
smiley3.gif
It tastes okay,but is pretty carbonated ....I am thinking this batch should be drank 'young'...just incase.....

Think it will make a good breakfast drink...
smiley2.gif

NW,I have been wanting to start one of these, thinking when I get a free carboy I would jump on it....well, then I realized I have an empty, the 5 gal I was doing beer in before I converted over to wine Funny how the beer days seem long ago and forgotten,and all that equipment got tucked away, anyway, So now I'm gathering up the ingredients, and have a question. Have you ever tried this with a lager yeast? Looking through the freezer I find thats all the beer yeast types I have. Think it would work?

20070414_062429_lager_Small.JPG

I have only used Ale yeast so far...was thinking of trying Côte des Blancs next time or breaking down and buying a real Cider Yeast.

Is a Lager Yeast one that has to ferment in cooler temps???

Let us know if you use it....

It does indeed ferment at cooler temps, also it is a "bottom" fermenting yeast, as apposed to ales that ferment from the top. If I followed the method as I did for beer, I would set the carboy directly on basement floor to keep it cool 7 - 15 C being the optimal temp for fermentation.I think it would involve more time, but wonder what taste characteristics it would impart to the apple.

Did an experemental 1 gal batch using the lager yeast, I did another
search and found I do indeed have some ale yeast, so think I'll gather
up enough juice to get 5 gal of that going, racked the apple lager, and
down to the basement it went.
20070418_114535_applelager_Smal.jpg

Had a great head on it when I racked, wish I had the camera ready for it!

We've been having a bottle of the last batch ofApple Cider when we come in from working outside...it is very refreshing and has some carbonation already....

Think we will polish off the old batch and let this ferment a bit more...I still am nervous about over sugaring it at bottling...so still don't know if I over dosed it or not.

smiley4.gif

I almost forgot I had this going down in the basement, strong ferment still going on, it may turn into something after all ! Apple Lager!

20070428_071118_applelag_Small.jpg

Still havent gathered up the juice to do it with ale yeast, maybe this weekend. This one should be ready to prime and bottle around the 5th or so.

We are really enjoying our last batch of Cider...we started drinking it already only because I thought I has over-primed it and thought it might start to blow the tops....It is nicely carbonating already.

It is very tasty when you come in from working outside...There is a real problem with it tho....It's going fast!!!!! We each had been having a bottle at 'Happy Hour'...that sure adds up....

2 weeks ago the little local store had Old Orchard Juices on sale....the 64 oz bottles.....so I bought 12 for another 6 gallon batch...last week they had the Old Orchard frozen concentrates on sale.....It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!

Have to bottle some wine to free-up a carboy....but hubby is out field cultivating...has the corn planter facing the field and the seed and fertilizer on hand....so wine isn't a priority....did have him lift the Primary bucket up this morning and I racked the Valiant Grape/toasted oak/vanilla/peppercorn wine into a carboy.....Life is Good!!!!!

He only plants 100 acres of corn and 200 acres of soybeans...he's suppose to be retired......this keeps him off the streets and our pockets empty.

He just starts having fun and then he's done already....then he goes over and helps a friend and they let him drive the big new tractors.....He does payback labor for carpentry work from our friend....think he'd go over there just for fun.

Jim enjoys playing in the dirt with his toys....this year he didn't get 'Iron-Fever' aka 'Green-Fever'....that's when he thinks he needs some newer machinery...and it has to be John Deere.....he enjoys his hobby....and once in awhile it pays off.

Do you need some corn??? Want to make some Corn-Wine.?????..
smiley2.gif

Got the juice together today, wasn't easy with prom going on, Sons a senior, so last hurray, and then he gets a shiny new suitcase
smiley36.gif
Last one to grow up, life IS getting good!

20070428_120436_AppleAle_Small.jpg

Was able to grab a shot, although a little dark, of moms baby boy heading out
smiley36.gif
Says real men can wear pink!
20070428_152906_bubprom1_Small.jpg

Lets hope a football scholarship rolls in, otherwise I'm broke for the next 4 years or so, I'll have to give up something....other than wine!Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

If corn prices can stay up like they have been recently, his farm hobby can pay for and expand the wine hobby! Lets hope for you they do!

What a handsome dude...love the pink!!!! Who could resist him tonight???

A shinny suitcase??? With his plate in it???

My husband always give kids a little Igloo cooler for graduation....

Corn is always high when we have crop failure the previous year.....So it goes!

Back