Hard Apple Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I went down to uncover the carboys and we seemed to have lost some wine somewhere?? dont know where it may have went.

The first pict is of the Hard apple day 1 one carboy and the second is 5 weeks later and is more brown and lost wine
20070327_164436_hard_apple_Smal.jpg

2nd pict is 5 weeks later and lost some wine and is brown, uggggg did we do something wrong?recipe.......

Ingredients :
5 gal of apple juice Plus 3 cans of frozen concentrate
5 pounds of sugar
5 campden tablets crushed
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
2 1/2 tabl acid blend
1 tsp wine tannin

Cover will towel for 24 hours

add : 2 tbls Yeast nutrient
1 packet of Yeast EC-1118 .After 5-7 days tran to carboy
20070327_165048_100_0214_Small.jpg
Edited by: Ippymiss

Apple can brown easily, which is why NW and a lot of us use ascorbic acid. It acts as a preservative and helps keep many fruit wines from oxidizing(browning). When you covered it, was it done fermenting? If it was actively fermenting, sometimes it will foam over which makes the level low. That extra airspace could have allowed extra oxygen in and brown the apple. If you had racked it(like it looks like) and topped it back up, then you might have a "wine thief" at work
smiley36.gif

Thanks, It did foam alot when we mixed and racked to the primary . damn, damn, damn... did we lose a batch..... the recipe did NOT call for the ascorbic acid...... soooooooooo, What do we do. TOSS.......... or what ? when we racked the recipe said after 5-7 days or if the SG reaches 1.040 (which it did) rack to carboy. We didnt want to top with more juice for fear of re-fermentation. I think we goofed! and we were so pleased with ourselves too. Edited by: Ippymiss

I agree...Wine Thief...
smiley2.gif
That's a lot of missing wine....what a shocker..
smiley3.gif

We have Wine Fairies here that take whole bottles...we put bottles in the cellar and they seem to disaapear...racks never stay full.....
smiley36.gif

I think it is probably okay...taste it, rack it and maybe top it up with something...or add marbels to displace the void in the carboy...

Keep us Posted on the Disappearing Wine Mystery....Edited by: Northern Winos

As I look at the picts we didnt need to top off...... so what could have happened to the wine? really.......... if we have wine thieves then the 16 yr old thief is going to be grounded for life..lol.......... no , I know he didnt do that... he doesnt trust our wine until it is bottled.......lol......has to be some logical reasoning.

OK. tomorrow we will taste it and what do you suggest we top it with besides marbles would like to use something...... if I top with apple juice then I have to stop it from fermenting again ? correct?......... I'm so lost here........sorry if Im rambling........ I going to bed to sleep on it........ Thanks everyone!Edited by: Ippymiss

Ippymiss.....Don't be so nervous...[easy for me to say]

Your Cider looks pretty clear...you might be just as well to carefully siphon it off, leave as much sediment behind and prime [if you want it fizzy] and bottle it now.

OR.....

If you have enough airlocks and want it to settle out more...you could age it a bit longer in some gallon jugs and wine bottles with airlocks for awhile.

Don't be too impressed with the flavor at this point...I personally don't think it tastes good till it gets a bit of fizz to it.

The color isn't all that bad....mine was lighter color this time. The juice I used this time contained Ascorbic Acid...that probably helped with oxidation....maybe some of your juices didn't have that in it....I always think the frozen juices are browner. Once your Cider is in a glass the color won't be all that brownish.

Right now I have some apple wine that I want to Sparkle..it is darker than normal...the apple juice was from my own apples and were very red, the juice was pinkish...so am not surprised about the color of the juice...I think next time I will add Ascorbic Acid to my homemade juice when I mix up a batch of Sparkling Apple Wine.....might preserve the color.

I add Ascorbic Acid to all my fruit wines at bottling, it is suppose to hold the colors...many people don't do this and I haven't seen it mentioned in many books...it was listed in recipes from a favorite winemaking book, and I started doing it from the beginning of my winemaking experience and just kept doing it to all the fruit base concoctions I make up, usually do it at bottling....but maybe at the onset of fermentation might not be a bad idea, especially on the Apple Cider and wines.

Keep us Posted on how it is coming along...I don't thin it is gone bad...unless the airlock was off....I see many people with carboys that are only that full...when we first started making wine oftan ours were like that and evreything seemed to have worked out.

Good luck...
smiley1.gif

smiley3.gif
I might have screwed up...yesterday we bottled our Apple Cider....I looked at my records and saw I had used 3/4 cup of corn sugar to prime...for some reason I thought the last batch was a 5 gallon batch....huummm.....this time I knew there would be more than 6 gallons as we had a full carboy as well as a small jug and a bottle....I calculated 1 teaspoon of corn sugar per bottle.....figured we'd get 65 bottles... 65 X 1 teaspoons = 10.83 ounces [volume] I put 10 onces 1 + 1/4 cup of sugar instead of 3/4 of a cup.......We got 69 bottles.....then after we were done bottling I saw that the last batch was also a 6 gallon batch....I think I over primed this one....Oh Oh!!!
smiley3.gif

Now I am really wondering about what I did....I am going to leave the cases in the laundry room on top of the floor drain for awhile...We might have some bottle bombs...have never had any before......This may also be some Disappearing Apple Cider....

If you have it fairly ready to bottle(clear enough) you could add 1/4 tsp K-Meta and Sorbate to stabilize the batch. Then you could safely top up with some more apple juice. The down side of this is if you want to make it carbonated like NW does for her Hard Cider. The sorbate will likely impede the action of the yeasts to carbonate it. If you want it a still cider, then I would stabilize and add CLEAR juice. Don't worry at that point if it has a few additives.

When we carbonate we do not add any Sulphite [K-meta] and for sure no Pot Sorbate...
smiley1.gif

Appleman...should we be adding K-meta if we carbonate??? We never have to this point.

NW, Probably not if it's been working for you and you don't keep it a long time. If they don't want theirs carbonated, then I would add the K-Meta snd sorbate a couple days before adding the juice to top up. I only recommended that if they like it still and want to top up with juice to keep fermentation from starting again, kind of like adding an F-pack from a kit.

Thanks everyone. I slept on it, but didnt lose any sleep..lol
I dont think we are going to carbonate it.. I dont have any K-Meta , guess a trip to the wine store is in store for this weekend!......

what the recipe does say is that is is still fermentating in this stage have about another week then we are to add 5 crushed campden tablets...........THEN BOTTLE........I do think we are going to sweeten it a tad.. and add pot sorbate to prevent re- fermentation...........

what is K-meta? anyways, I thought I bought all the different chemicals we may need for different wines.

But I do want to top off with something.. I do have more apple juice, can we add that tonight and then som pot sorbate to stop referm????

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME!

OK, I have so many questions here I am running in circles........ first.......
tonight if we top off with more apple juice do we also add pot sorbate?? its 1/2 tsp per gal............. then let it sit for about another month , then.....when ready to bottle. add 5 campden and wine conditioner to sweeten............ ??? is after we have added the campden and conditioner do we add more Pot sorbate again??

hope its not to confusing!
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Ippymiss

First off K-Meta is the powdered form instead of tablets

Campden Tabletes= K-Meta or Na-Meta(K being potassium and Na being sodium)

I find the powder easier to use for normal size batches 1/4 tsp is about the same in a 6 gallon batch as the 5 or six Campden tablets. Just stir it in a little water and add it instead of having to grind up the tablets. The apple juice will sweeten it up some, maybe enough for you. What is your specidfic gravity reading now? If it reads about .994 for 2 days without changing it is done now-if it drops betwween readings, check again until you get to readings the same. I have only used the wine conditioner once and will never do it again. They don't list the ingredients in it so you really don't know how much sorbate you are adding with it(plus it just plain changed the taste of my wine sothat I didn't like it at all).

Once you get the two readings the same, then you can add either campden or K-Meta and the sorbate then. Wait a couple days and then sweeten to taste- remember you might not need to if you added more juice.Edited by: appleman

Ok, I will take the readings when hubby gets home from work, he is working over to pay for the wine.lol.......If I dont use the conditioner then what would I sweeten with?
I dont have time to go and get the k-meta powder so I guess the well chushed campden will do.

But will wait to sweeten after we add some more juice, it may just be sweet enough for the both of us.....ThankYou, thankYOU..

Hubby came home,.

started SG was 1.094, went into carboy when SG was 1.040

TODAY....... SG is .998 at 68 degrees, will take again tomorrow, if it reads the same then add applejuice.... tasted and WOW was really powerful!...... needs to be sweeter, is to dry to me. after we add the juice totop off we are going to let sit another month before adding the campden and bottling.

Ok, the SG came out the same .998, we added more apple juice and the campden and sorbate...... will let it sit for a few more weeks and then sweeten a bit and bottle........ we also bottled today, the green apple riesling and the Blackberry cabernet. looks good.

Will post some picts tomorrow. After we bottled 60 some bottles, had to go to friends house for a cookout........ didnt feel like printing out the lablestonight and hubby has a pulled muscle in the back so he cant lift to well right now..... ya know men are babies when it comes to pain....lol.

Not me Ippy....I regularly take a hammer and smash on my fingers, knees, etc just to keep my tolerance to pain at a high level
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back