Greetings from NC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASAI

Reaction score
I would like to introduce myself to my new family; hopefully, this one will let me hang around longer than theprevious 5.
I have been lurking around since mid Jan learning the art and science of fine wine making from so many great teachers, mentors, experts, and others.
I got a complete(?) kit for a Christmas present, and started the research to see if I even wanted to mess with it. I had a "complete" wine making book that came with the kit, a set of easy to understand instructions from the store, detailed instructions in the wine kit, and several other sources. Darn, was I confused.

During my required internet search for all matters important, I found this web site. I found George's Videos to be inspiring and took much of the confusion away. Unfortunately, as well intentioned as I am sure George is, many things did not seem to work as easy as he protrayed. I know it didn't have anything to do with my insistance on modifying directions for improvements.

What I found when I came to this discussion forum was so many other newbies; that were going through the same learning curve. All of my questions were asked, pretty much in my own confused words. Everything I needed in one easy to understand spot.

I have been especially impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of so many members, and the willingness to share, no matter how often the same questions were ask, or how basic it was.

I have enjoyed listening to so many that take wine making very seriously; but, never seem to take themselves too seriously. The mark of a true family is the ability to joke, poke, enjoy, share, drink,and become even closer.

I hope tocontribute by asking some questions,(REAL men don't ask questions, we read directions), contributing some of my experience, and raising the bar on Smart Alec Attitude.

Drinking-Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet-Exceeds my expectations; especially, considering my expectations after research, study, and listening to the stuffy wine people have grown much faster than my knowledge, experience, and understanding of Toy Store videos.

Bulk Age-VR Shiraz-Figured I was on the right track when I snuck a taste while racking to secondary, and it tasted just like the $6 Bottle from walmart I got sick on the night before. Tasting, now, the stuff I bottled from the bottom of the carboy.Kind oflike off taste kool aid spiked with first run unfiltered vodka.

Primary-Just pitched, Orchard Breezin Kiwi Melon Pinot Girgio-This will be all experiment. Decided to pitch all written directions, and go only by the advice of me new friends. I did buy a $8 bottle at walmart to see if I could learn to drink white wine with out gagging before buying the kit. Jury is still out, on that one. Even if I have to pour it out that will be OK, I will just start another batch, best darn room air freshner I have ever tired.

On Order-WE LE South African Cav.

Well, 1 post down and about 5040 more to go if I want to catch up to Waldo before bed time.

Welcome ASAI, glad to have you onboard. To stay up with me you have to learn to "Rise early, type fast, ferment in plastic and bulk age in glass"

Welcome ASAI....Glad you found us....Hope you can stay and share and don't be afraid to ask questions...We like to help...Good luck and enjoy...
smiley4.gif

Glad to meet you Asai. We really do like to help otheers and share what we have. Some places just don't have this friendly atmosphere and can get quite testy.

Sounds like you are having some fun with the hobby. That certainly helps out a lot in it's enjoyment. Feel free to ask away.

Hi Asai, sounds like you are off to a really good start! Don't throw out the Pinot Grigio when it's done even if you don't like whites - it might come in handy for a guest who hates reds, or for trading friends for empty bottles. You'd be surprised how many bottles of wine grow wings and fly away from home. and... WELCOME!

Welcome to the forum! Yes, we really like to have a good time here. We are serious about wine, but we know it's all about having a good time. We always welcome an addition to the family.
Yes JW, when it comes to making wines, men read instructions. I on the other hand, when making one of my fun, novelty wines, make Poor Bert crazy.
smiley5.gif
I toss it together, don't make notes, and at some point along the journey actually do some work with it!
smiley36.gif

Welcome Asai, glad to have you on board. "(REAL men don't ask questions, we read directions)"
smiley5.gif
I really didnt think we did either of these, I thought we just wandered around lost!
smiley36.gif

Welcome
smiley20.gif

I am sure that your wines will improve with time. IMO all wines should age at least six months. A year or two is better. I bulk age most of my wines in a carboy for a year. ( just found out on another post that many others do not
smiley13.gif
)

I am not sure what real men are supposed to do. I never read the directions and I am NOT going to ask now!!!

We can answer any question that you have, Guarenteed. If we can't, I will send you $10.00 To collect your $10.00 simply send $20.00 for shipping and handling.
smiley4.gif

pelican said:
Hi Asai, sounds like you are off to a really good start! Don't throw out the Pinot Grigio when it's done even if you don't like whites - it might come in handy for a guest who hates reds, or for trading friends for empty bottles. You'd be surprised how many bottles of wine grow wings and fly away from home. and... WELCOME!

Thats one of the plans. The kit was a gift from my daughter, she prefers beer for the after work unwind; and high priced reds for dinner drinks. She doesn't like whites either. So, the plan is if we don't like the Kiwi Melon Pinot Girgio, (even after I enhanced it), she will throw a all girl party, except for Grand Pa.

Rocky Top said:
Welcome
smiley20.gif

I am sure that your wines will improve with time. IMO all wines should age at least six months. A year or two is better. I bulk age most of my wines in a carboy for a year. ( just found out on another post that many others do not
smiley13.gif
)

I am not sure what real men are supposed to do. I never read the directions and I am NOT going to ask now!!!

We can answer any question that you have, Guarenteed. If we can't, I will send you $10.00 To collect your $10.00 simply send $20.00 for shipping and handling.
smiley4.gif

Thanks for the advice. Plans are to make a Mist Type kit, about every month, until I have a variety of early drink choices, alternate short range drinkable such as the VR-Shiraz and longer range better kits for saving to the 2-3 year point.

Asai, welcome to the site. Yes, Waldo is quicker than lightening and can catch speeding bullets with his teeth.
smiley36.gif

Welcome to the 'family'! Tis a great place to linger - - so much info is here!

I am on my 2nd and maybe 3rd Kiwi Melon Pinot Girgio - we bottled these in the 375's and gave away for Christmas - NOW everybody wants more.
So, off and running.

Good luck and have fun - - -

rrawhide

uavwmn said:
Asai, welcome to the site. Yes, Waldo is quicker than lightening and can catch speeding bullets with his teeth.
smiley36.gif

And for sure you have to get EARLY! Just note the time of most of his posts!!

rrawhide said:
Welcome to the 'family'! Tis a great place to linger - - so much info is here!

I am on my 2nd and maybe 3rd Kiwi Melon Pinot Girgio - we bottled these in the 375's and gave away for Christmas - NOW everybody wants more.
So, off and running.

Good luck and have fun - - -

rrawhide

Thanks, as I have mentioned in other post, this batch of Kiwi Melon is my first try at multiple variable experimentation.Nice to know, I would have probably been good, if I hadn't screwed with it.
I plan on doing most bottling in my personal serving size of 375ml. Plan on doing some research on availability of this size in the scavenger mode. Any suggestions, on where to find lot's of this size would be appreciated. Otherwise, I am looking at buying 6-8 cases over the next 2 months.

ASAI,

Welcome to the forum. This is a very contagious site! I got into the hobby wanting to make maybe 2-3 batches of wine per year. In the 1 year I have been a member I have made 12! It seems everytime I go onto the forum I read posts and say to myself "UM, that sounds good" or "I think I would like to try that one". As other members have already warned you, you are hooked! If you live anywhere near Chapel Hill be careful; my daughter has a great affection for Castel del Papa! She nearly cleaned me out of my supply. Good luck with the winemaking; glad to have you as one of us.

Latest posts

Back