WineXpert Green Apple Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineBear

Junior
Reaction score
Just started an Island Mist Green Apple Riesling and wanted a little more kick, Soooo, I added about 4# sugar hoping to get the alcohol level up to 11 to 12 percent. Did I do this right? Did I need anymore yeast other than what came with the kit? Too much, Too little?

Just bottled my first Green Apple Reisling. Opened the first bottle immediately and it was excellent. Wife likes sweeter whites, so this'll be great for her here with summer close.

By altering the recipe from the manufacturer and raising the alc level, what effect will that have on the wine. Wasnt the base mixed from the manufacturerfor a lower % alc. With that in mind wont the balance be way off? Just curious. I have heard of others doing this but thought it would just make high alc tasting wine with thin flavor....??? Edited by: touchtoomuch

Well I've sampled some and it is a little boozy but I think with some time it will be pretty good. Seem that it still has all the flavor. We'll be bottling just after Memorial Day and I'll taste again. I'll let ya know how it is then.

Touchtoomuch, I must have missed this post. Some of these Mist kits have a lot of flavor and sweetness and with such low abv's will not last long due to lower alc. content. I have upped the abv on 2 kits and must say that a little goes a long way on some. I personally wouldnt up the abv on all of them as some are just to delicate of a taste and could get lost by the higher alc. I hope the apple 1 does not do that as I myself would leave that 1 alone along with the peach apricot. The Blackberry Cabernet could use the boost and the Watermelon White Merlot hides the higher abv really nice.

Forgive my ignorance but my husband and I are new to wine making. We made our first Green Apple Riesling and it turned out perfect! We used a book we purchased that told us how much sugar to add to get the alcohol content of, I think 10 to 12%. You said you used 4#, is that 4 Cups? We used 7.5 cups and this stuff turned out very well. I just wondered.

good morning Tiffany and welcome.

13 cups of sugar is approximately 5 pounds, so about 2.6 cups makes a pound of sugar. So you used about 3 pounds of sugar in your recipe

Turned out perfect. I just hope the Blackberry Merlot we started turns out as well as the Green Apple! It will be our second batch. We added the same, 7.5C, to it as well.

I have tweaked several Green Apple kits and they all came out great

Waldo, I know that the green apple gewurztraminer that you tweaked turned out delicious!

Hi Waldo! The first one we made was the Island Mist kit and we added 7.5 Cups of sugar. We have an Orchard Breezin' going right now and added the same amount of sugar since the first one turned out perfect. Have you tried both? If so, do you think one is better than the other?

In my opinion theOrchard Breezingis by far the better of the two.

I can't wait to try it. I LOVE the Island Mist so I am sure I will love the Orchard Breezin' even more!! Strange though, I added the 7.5 C sugar to both and the beginning SG of the Island Mist was 1.070. The Orchard Breezin seems to be around 1.052 SG beginning. Any idea why? I guess we could have miscalculated or written it down wrong.
smiley5.gif

I think there is an error with that OB sg after 7.5 cups of sugar, thats about what it is before adding sugar.

That is what I thought. We did the exact same thing this time so I think it is just that our reading is off. Thanks, makes me feel better! Do you think the OB kit is better than the IM kitas well?

Well Waldo and Wade, you were correct. I checked the SG and it isa little over1.080. Maybe we just read it wrong but I do feel better.

I am ready to start my Green Apple Reisling(As soon as it gets delivered from George) and am going to add additional sugar... Going Tiffany's route with 7.5 cups ~ 3 lbs.. Are you disolving this in water prior to adding to the must(if so how much water did you use), or just stirring in?? Thankyou!

Back