Gotta have some Hurricane Relief Humor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
<TABLE =MsonormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%" cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" width="100%">
Hurricane Survival Kit

Toilet Paper..............................check
Bud Light.................................check
Keystone Ice...........................check
Budweiser..............................check
Red Dog.................................check
Misc. other bottles of alcohol....check
Piece of plywood to float your
old lady
and booze on........................check

God love dem rednecks!

Scroll down

get-attachment.aspxuid=103384&ampfolder=Inbox&amppartId=4

get-attachment.aspxuid=103384&ampfolder=Inbox&amppartId=5

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Hey Wade did you get that one too? I was trying to load the picture. Thanks......I think that is what I would be taking with me. Especially after driving 2hours and 10 minutes to getHome and used 1/4 tank of gas to go 17 miles Because oftraffic lights being out or broken.

I'm beyond frustrated and tired and dirty and hungry...but at least I have a home.
Ramona

They better watch out, they are in a no parking zone!

I think I sense a new signature line for Ramona

"I'm beyond frustrated and tired and dirty and hungry...but at least I have a home.
Ramona"

I hear you on traffic. While we have no where near the population you have the traffic was terrible due to lights out. I was on night shift then and there was a curfew so traveling around town was not so bad. I am on day shift now and even though almost all traffic lights are back in service, the traffic is just horrendous due to the few that still aren't. I feel you pain girl. 4 more years and I am out of hurricane country.

I'm back on line now.
The hurricane took out power and water (and therefore sewage) here. I'm on a well and although I had the mandatory generator I didn't have a transfer switch to tie into the house to run the 220V stuff.

I lost some trees at the back, a couple of shingles off the roof, and a car port. I watch it fly over the stables, slide between us and next door, across the road and into a neighbor's field. I wasn't going to go after it

It's interesting how the family pulls together in times like these.

I was wondering how you fared Peter. Glad you are OK and the house isn't too terribly bad.

When we had the huge icestorm years back and were without power for weeks in the winter, everybody tried to work together but you were basically stuck where you were for days on end. Glad we had family near.

Hope you are back to normal soon.

When we lost power 6 years ago for 2 1/2 days I bought a big gen. and installed the emergen switch which all in all set me back around $2,500 and havent lost power since then for more then 10 min's. But just knowing that I can run anything in my house except for the self cleaning oven part of the oven is priceless. I can have heat, hot water, AC and anyting else and that makes me happy.

I have two friends here in Huntsville with 20KW plus in line systems running of propane and tied to the house with a transfer switch. Neither of them worked when push came to shove. My friend JC had to go out to the farm and pick up the 8KW portable he uses for his well. Karon had candles and cooked everything in the refrigerator on the gas grill.

oooh! I forgot.....

Americas favorite vegetable (brussel sprouts), defrosted sounds really bad but...

cook as usual. then drain, saute in olive oil, garlic and paprika, for about 5 minutes, top with blue cheese and grill to melt the cheese. I got really rave reviews at a refrigerator party on that one. Went really well with pork loin and rice.

Can you imagine this forum without Wade for 2 1/2 days???????
smiley3.gif

I think that we would have to shut down and wait for him to come back.
smiley36.gif

We love you Wade!!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Rocky Top

I've got a generator and it can power most of my house except for my AC unit, but a couple of years ago, we bought a couple of small 110volt window air conditioners in case we lose power due to a hurricane and have to keep our aging wines cool.

I work for a water and waste water utility company and we have at least 10 large generators (trailer mounted generators) that we use to power mostly sewer lift stations whenever power is lost after a hurricane. I would love to bring one of them home, because one generator would power my entire house including my AC unit, but I don't think the company would appreciate me borrowing one.
smiley19.gif

Rocky, Right back at ya!
smiley31.gif

Southern, we wont tell anyone!
smiley4.gif

Edited by: wade

I like the big generator idea SouthernMan. It would give you real comfort at home and nothing like a little Southern Comfort to keep you happy!

Everyone,

I had company planned for Ike weekend and she was here. She is a friend of mine who is from Houston and was back for a visit so she is not a complete stranger to this sort of Ike thing. Her son and Lain were HighSchool Sweeties and are still friends after 10 years as are his mother and I. It was a very special weekend and a very unusual weekend. I had planned the food and I wasn't going to let Ike ruin it. Saturday night we has a candle light(no choice, but choice) candle light with my Stag's Leap Merlot, Chicken Cajun pasta and Salad....not a white wine for that chicken but the very best I had.
20080918_172854_100_5476_Small.jpg

20080918_173328_100_5483_Small.jpg

Me, dear friend Sherrione, Christian and Lain, Curtis taking the pic. A very enjoyable evening before all hell broke looseduring the lightning storm.Edited by: rgecaprock

Looks like a fun time.....Glad you all survived the storm and have a job and a home to come back to.....

I am sure lack of water, electricity and all the other things we take for granted will soon return to your life....

Hope you are picking up the pieces and trying to maintain during a very difficult time

Take care,
smiley31.gif

Peter, glad you are OK. I forgot you lived in South Texas. For some reason I was thinking you lived in North Texas. Too bad about your friends whole house generators. I will have one ASAP! I know a few folks to that had problems with theirs. Every one was due to not maintaining their unit. I am going to put one in but still keep my 2 portable generators in case for some reason a whole house would fail or they shut the natural gas off. I am also going to adapt both of my portable generators to tri-fuel to work off of gasoline, natural gas, or propane. I have those kits ordered already. I am tired of living in South Louisiana in the sweltering heat with no AC for extended periods of time after a hurricane. I was out close to a month with Katrina and Rita and around 10 days with Gustav and Ike. Damn, I am starting to sound like one of those fanatics that head to the mountains and live in a cabin looking out for Communists and cleaning my cache of "hunting" weapons.

wade said:
Rocky, Right back at ya!
smiley31.gif

Southern, we wont tell anyone!
smiley4.gif

Believe me, the thought raced through my mind many times to take a company generator home when I was pulling one of those large generators behind my 1 ton company truck going to a job site after Hurricane Katrina knocked out power for several weeks. My supervisor walked up to me on a job site and told me with a grin on his face, "Don't you dare bring it home with you"
smiley36.gif
He knows I'm that under-handed
smiley36.gif

Back