Good morning!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love waking up on a Saturday morning and having "the flock" waiting on me to feed them. I had 4 of them in the house at one time and got some good video of them. They are so agressive and bossy with each other. Must be fattening up to begin mating season.
20070203_094532_100_0559_Small.jpg

I know the warm weather has returned when Ramona sends my doves back up North! Mourning Doves are one of my favorite birds.

Another beautiful winter sunrise....

FebruarySunriseSmall.jpg

Had a dusting of snow, still get drifting dirt off the fields when the wind blows.....

Maybe we can all pack up a good box full of snow and send some to Nothern Winos by UPS or FEDEX or DHL or USPS(who did I leave out?). How much space should we reserve in the box for Packing Peanuts?
smiley36.gif

I truly hope you get more snow and then rain this coming year.
smiley20.gif
You guys need a little more out there in the eastern plains.
smiley13.gif

I guess you aren't that awfully far from where my older brother was first stationed in the Fish and Wildlife Service at LaCreek NWR near Valentine Nebraska(LaCreek is in South Dakota bordering the badlands). I never got to visit him there. I guess it was really desolate, being about 5 miles from the nearest neighbor.

Norther Winos, That is so beatiful! I'm so glad you shared that picture with us. Isn't it amazing just how beatiful things are if you just look! Thanks!

Maybe everyone can just send all those packing peanuts and I can make a snow man and sprinkle it out in the fields....

NW beautiful picture, I bet it would make a nice label.

As for the weather here in Montana it has been very warm and not much snow. Last weekend we went snowmobiling and there were at least three strands of wire on the fences sticking out, this time of year the snow should be way over the tops of the fences. I'm afraid this summer will a hot dry one with a lot of forest fires here in Montana.
smiley19.gif

Waldo said:
Another awesome photo NW......How's the fishing?

Fishing isn't good at all....With not much snow on the ice the sun is making it so bright under there that I am afraid that they can see us and are staying away...better luck next year....Game Fishing season ends next Sunday....then I can clean house or ......something.

The 'Early-Bird'

EarlyBirdSmall.jpg

Gets the...&lt;FISH&lt;</font>

fishSmall.jpg

Not too bad for a terrible fishing season...#7.4oz...

Was kind of lonely on the lake today....raining, +34* and a 36 MPH wind....

Just the Amish kids, their horse and us'ins...

AmishSmall.jpg

Have to take care of some errands tomorrow...then fish till we 'burn out'....Friday, Saturday and Sunday...then the party is over, end of Game Fishing season...
smiley19.gif

How eautifull a sight! A horse pulled sleigh...... A big fish on an icey lake and shanties for warmth.......... Besides all that, your sad it's coming to an end......... all I can say is what a woman..... Do you have any available daughters you can hook up with my 20 year old son, he could use a little enjoyment in life, he doesn't know what he's missing.

Nice Pictures NW, I'm a little jealous......
smiley19.gif

OK NW...here is what you do...Saturday, you take 3-4 bottles of your wines you have made. Seal the cork with wax, place them in a nylon bag add some weight to it. Take a GPS reading where you finish fishing at Saturday and you sink that bag with the wines at that location. Next year, when season opens, you go back, grapple the bag and have a sip of cool, aged wine while you wait on that first bite

Thats a nice fish but looks like bait compared to the last pictures of fish you showed us!
smiley36.gif

Waldo, Thats a great idea...... I wonder if it would work? Age wine under water.......... Just fill the bottles up a little more so when the cork goes in there is very little air space (in case of water seepage).............

That would be an interesting experiment..........

I'll donate a bottle for trial purpose if needed.

Waldo said:
OK NW...here is what you do...Saturday, you take 3-4 bottles of your wines you have made. Seal the cork with wax, place them in a nylon bag add some weight to it. Take a GPS reading where you finish fishing at Saturday and you sink that bag with the wines at that location. Next year, when season opens, you go back, grapple the bag and have a sip of cool, aged wine while you wait on that first bite

Excellent idea Waldo...in fact I did a GPS Waypoint on 5 spots on the lake today.....the spot we are at today is a spot we were at in 2004.

My honey has been wanting to take wine along to drink...don't know if he'd go for putting a bottle into the lake...BUT...that would be a good way to age some...wouldn't it?

wade said:
Thats a nice fish but looks like bait compared to the last pictures of fish you showed us! 
smiley36.gif

Yes wade....other years we had better luck getting some monsters...but you get what you can.

This year there is very little snow on the ice...the ice is crystal clear...when the sun shines it is so bright under the ice....The bait fish have been hiding, so the big ones have been no where in sight...a different year out there.

Also, this is a very shallow lake...usually with snow on the ice the lake looses oxygen and the fish panic...swimming high, right under the ice...going every which way....the Lion's Club runs an aeration device to save the fish [so we can kill them]...this year the lake is very high in oxygen so the fish are having a better life....this year they haven't turned on the air pumps yet....so they will be bigger next year.

jobe05 said:
How eautifull a sight!  A horse pulled sleigh...... A big fish on an icey lake and shanties for warmth..........  Besides all that, your sad it's coming to an end......... all I can say is what a woman..... Do you have any available daughters you can hook up with my 20 year old son, he could use a little enjoyment in life, he doesn't know what he's missing. 

Nice Pictures NW, I'm a little jealous......
smiley19.gif

Sorry Jobe...no daughters....
It's a shame that some kids don't know about the simple things in life...Give him some time and guide him to the country...show him the way....that applies to adults too...if it's something you want...reach out and take it....Life is too short...enjoy each breathe...let the simple things take your breathe away....

Back