Going TDY in two months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers

Wine Junkie
Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of Peach wine that I have just started in the primary. I will have time to transfer to secondary and maybe one racking. There will be nobody at my place that will be able to take care of this wine for me. My question is, will the wine be okay to sit for about 5 month, even if its on the lees or will I lose this wine, and if I'm going to lose it is there anything I can do to save it before I leave. Military wont let me take it with me.

It'll be fine and dandy, and you will be forced to let it age!

I would be concerned about the airlock, depending around where it sits, and whos watching it. A blow by tube may be something to consider, it is a tube going into a water jug.

I don't know if you are in housing, etc., but find a friend that don't drink wine, a carboy really doesn't take up that much space.

Put a T shirt or somethng around it and try to keep your tempature constant. Too hot or too cold isn't good, but the more constant the better.

Other than that, just leave it alone. Thats what it likes. At least were not talking about houseplants or pets that need constant attention.

I think you will be quite surprised what this will be like when you get home.
Troy

If you have racked it a time or two prior to leaving you will probably be OK. Make sure the sulfites are up to snuff before you go and it ought to all be good. The gross lees from the primary fermentation are the ones you really don't want the wine sitting on.

I travel a fair bit and am often forced to leave my wines at various stages. It's fine. Wine has a way of looking after itself.

Thanks all!!!
I'll set the air lock up with a hose going into a gallon jug of sanitizing solution and have it checked on once or twice a week till I get back. Going to try and start a gallon jug of Welch's white grape and peach after I get there. As long as I let them know what's going on the billeting people are okay with it. Military just wont let me haul it in their GOV's.

rogers, you didn't mention what branch of the military or where you are going,,,
but regardless.
Thanks for what you do.
Earl.

5 months is a bit long so I will add a few more things here. Like Smurfe said, make sure the sulfite levels are up. If you think there might be lots of lees dropping out while you are gone then use a fining agent a few weeks before yo goto let it do its job and then rack off these lees before you leave and tat will solve any potential problem there. If you decide to go this route I would suggest SuperKleer as it works fast and works very good. 1 more thing to make very sure of especially if it gets warm there is to make sure the airlocks are all full. Maybe use vodka or something that doesnt evaporate much. Do not leave plain water in there for that long as temp changes and barometric pressure changes can cause the airlock to raise and also reverse back into the wine.

Thanks Wade, and Myak, I'm Airforce. Going to Texas to train. I don't deploy again until 2011.

I just want to know what TDY means?

welcome to the forum rogers..

Allie

I just want to know what TDY means?

welcome to the forum rogers..

Allie

Allie:
It means> A Temporary Duty assignment, or TDY (humorous backronymic expansion "Temporary Duty Yonder"), refers to a U.S. government employee travel assignment at a location other than the employee's permanent duty station. And thanks for the welcome!!!!:h

Rogers. Thank You. As you may know the military is a strong presence here. Eilson AFB is just down the road, and the 1/25th Stryker Brigade is right here, right here!!

Almost 4000 soldiers came back last month, for many, it wasn't their first deployment. And as you may know some didn't come home. Actually lost a "good ole boy" in the Chinook crash in Iraq. Sheet, we were gonna go out on a fly in fishing trip. damn. These are my neighbors. Fort Wainwright and Eilson Air Force Base is part of our community. we don't have 30 thousand military people here next door. We have "our" military. i was on post, and on base the first time they were deployed, it was sad, a bunch of worried spouses and children, with nothing more than hope.

When they came home there were signs and banners throughout this city and on post welcoming them home.

Some piece of sheet had enough guts to write a letter to the editor and asked how long do we need to see these banners.

Those banners will stay up until everyone comes home. PERIOD!

Even if youcan't watch your wine brother, I will make one for you, and I will keep it until you want it. My US Flag will never wander, nor shall your wine.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political statement. But, I Troy M. Sauve, am a proud American and will back up our military anyway I can.

My Grandpa(moms dad) fought in Guadalcanal. I guarantee you he wasn't liking it, but he did what was necessarry. Him and his guys fought hard to give us the right to have a forum like this and although his love was his garden, he would be glad to know we are brewing our own.

Buy guns, we may need them.

Stay safe brother, your job, and those around you doesn't go unrecognized.

Our flag flies high around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy M Sauve
Ester Alaska

We salute them and honor them. All Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers and Marines.

Last edited:
Rogers. Thank You. As you may know the military is a strong presence here. Eilson AFB is just down the road, and the 1/25th Stryker Brigade is right here, right here!!

Almost 4000 soldiers came back last month, for many, it wasn't their first deployment. And as you may know some didn't come home. Actually lost a "good ole boy" in the Chinook crash in Iraq. Sheet, we were gonna go out on a fly in fishing trip. damn. These are my neighbors. Fort Wainwright and Eilson Air Force Base is part of our community. we don't have 30 thousand military people here next door. We have "our" military. i was on post, and on base the first time they were deployed, it was sad, a bunch of worried spouses and children, with nothing more than hope.

When they came home there were signs and banners throughout this city and on post welcoming them home.

Some piece of sheet had enough guts to write a letter to the editor and asked how long do we need to see these banners.

Those banners will stay up until everyone comes home. PERIOD!

Even if youcan't watch your wine brother, I will make one for you, and I will keep it until you want it. My US Flag will never wander, nor shall your wine.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political statement. But, I Troy M. Sauve, am a proud American and will back up our military anyway I can.

My Grandpa(moms dad) fought in Guadalcanal. I guarantee you he wasn't liking it, but he did what was necessarry. Him and his guys fought hard to give us the right to have a forum like this and although his love was his garden, he would be glad to know we are brewing our own.

Buy guns, we may need them.

Stay safe brother, your job, and those around you doesn't go unrecognized.

Our flag flies high around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy M Sauve
Ester Alaska

We salute them and honor them. All Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers and Marines.

Man Troy, you made me cry!!!!! Thank YOU MY BROTHER!!!! And I will collect on the wine some day. Be looking for me.

GOD bless you and yours and my he keep you well!!!

Rogers, my word is good! This is what I am making for you, I just want some too!!:d

These are DOLE, 100% Juice, 12 oz. frozen concentrate.

I have 3 of each.

Orange/Strawberry/Banana
Orange/Peach/Mango
Pineapple

Gonna mix it together with 12 oz. of dark raisins, going to add enough water to start with 3 1/2 gallons or so.

My very first wine ever was made from this DOLE concentrate. Great product, even without the alcohol!!:D

I may call it "Airman Ale", although it wont be an ale at all. This, bud, is for you.

I have an email, [email protected] I expect you to check in on its progress. I can't send any to you in the mail. But when it is ready, I will get you some.

I am only 14 miles away from North Pole. I may have some connections. There was a time when I was more nice than naughty. Santa remembers that. When the time is right, I will see what I can do to get some to you, even if it has to fly on a sleigh.:b

Take care man, stay in touch. Let us know how you decided to store your wine. I personally appreciate and respect what you are doing, as well all the rest of the military.

These may not be the best of times to be in, but, as I said, my word is good.

This batch is for all of you.

Troy
:b

Troy my brother I can not wait to try it!!!!!! I to have you one waiting. Like I told you before, the gold is in the honey, I have you a blueberry melomel mead waiting. I thank you for the support and all the help you have been so far. Looking forward to keeping in tuch(you never thougt you would have a brother from TENNESSEE did you?) Take care, talk at you later.

Latest posts

Back