Frozen concentrate apple cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
Hello I am going to make 5 gallons of Apple cider. I have 20 12 oz apple juice frozen concentrate and cinnamon sticks. Should I put 3 sticks in the primary?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

My vote, too. Unless you have gallons of apple juice to waste I would experiment with perhaps 1 gallon of the five and add adjuncts like cinnamon to the secondary. You can then check the effect they have and if necessary either remove them when their presence becomes excessive or allow them to sit longer if they fail to produce the depth of effect you hoped they might. Once you know how long and how much of the spice to add then you can add these to a larger batch but I still think that cinnamon or cloves might need less than you think. Now hops... That is another story...

Ah to late/: oh well I will just do this batch with cinnamon haha :)

How does this sound so far? Started 5/9/14

PRIMARY

20 cans of frozen apple concentrate - PRIMARY

Water to top off 5 gallons - PRIMARY

3 cinnamon sticks - PRIMARY

2 tsp yeast nutrient - PRIMARY

Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast - PRIMARY

SG 1.080 expected ABV 11% - NO ADDITIONAL SUGAR ADDED. - PRIMARY

Last edited:
Okay so I opened the lid on my primary bucket because their was no bubbling on my air lock. I opened it and it has started fermenting, wow it has an amazing smell, I took a hydrometer reading just to see how fast it's been going and I started around 1pm yesterday it was 1.080 and today at 9am it is 1.070 so instead of putting the test back in the bucket I put it in a cup and tried it. Wow the cinnamon really stands out, I have never had anything like this! Great recipe! By the way I shook the primary bucket and the air lock bubbled a few times then stopped so their is a air leak somewhere, but I am fine with bc I like the co2 in it!

That was another thing I was going to ask.. Why do people do that?

MY primary bucket has a air leak so bad that the airlock isn't even bubbling unless I shake the bucket and FORCE co2 to rise

Gosh i can't wait until it's finished, I will defently be putting it in a keg to give it co2..

ImageUploadedByWine Making1399734243.719291.jpg

That was another thing I was going to ask.. Why do people do that?

Perhaps you should do some reading about yeast and fermentation management before you get too far ahead of yourself.

Yeast go both through phases where they need air to reproduce and then they will eventually reach a point where they do not use air to reproduce.

Here, give some of these some reading.. Take your time.... A lot of the literature here is about the effects of nutrient additions. However, there is plenty of good background in here!

View attachment FW%3a_Scott_Laboratories_Request_Information_Submission.zip

View attachment Fwd%3a_Research.zip

View attachment Awesume Ferm Info.zip

Yeah I've heard people saying no don't use the towel just use airlock. Others say use towel.. I'll do some reading. I have always used the airlock. And it comes out fine but I'll try this and see what happensn

I took the old off and put a towel over it. It does make since, it's a living organism and just like us we need air to survive as well. I'm surprised I haven't had any problems with this..

Well all of my wines have always been young wines.. So they go by pretty quick, and always used one gallons so went by even quicker. This is my first 5 gallon batch so I think I will be able to age this

Well I have a towel over the primary now so hopefully it will age good

Update Started 5/9/14 at OG 1.080 and at 5/11/14 it's at 1.030 it is fermenting like crazy. Poured a glass today to taste it and it taste great the way it is! Great foam head on it as well. Picture below (btw I will be putting it in a keg to carbonize it)ImageUploadedByWine Making1399859346.315031.jpg

Latest posts

Back