Free run using a vacuum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure you can use almost anything
Say a 6'' pipe or a 1 gallon container with holes in it - preferably harder than a milk jug.

I just put 3 - 3' pvc water pipe and it seemed it would work

Last edited:
Glad you bumped this up - I've been wondering how to easily separate free-run from skins. Do you think a standard 4" piece of PVC would work as well?

Boatboy24 said:
Glad you bumped this up - I've been wondering how to easily separate free-run from skins. Do you think a standard 4" piece of PVC would work as well?

I think if you put 2 of them in the nylon bag should get u by . Best if you could make it more round so you can scape off the skins so more juice can go thru the nylon bag

I believe I posted the part. # for the nylon bag - but if you need it again - let me know

Boatboy24 said:
So, you're not using a "paint strainer" bag then?

No definitely not - this is actually has a micron rating and very durable. I still have my original after 7 years of use. I have a small wooden oar that I will scrape off the skins as I am pulling the first run. I had plenty enough wine this year doing it this way that I made a second run and not even pressed .

I separated my free run this year by installing a valve on the bottom of my fermentation barrel and used a strainer on the inside. Worked like a charm.

Note: pictures are from a rack and return I did this year, not separating free run wine.

20131010_225441.jpg

20131010_231443.jpg

Back