Free run using a vacuum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I wanted to show you how I was able to get most all of my 1st run using a vacuum pump, without lifting and very little mess.This is a 8'' potable water pipe with holes drilled into it with a strainer bag over it, just place the racking tube inside. Then I take a pitcher and dump into the press without the mess !!

what do you think ?
steve

http://allinonewinepump.com/

DSCN1026 [620x465].JPG

DSCN1029 [620x465].JPG

Last edited:
Oh, but isn't it a lot more fun lifting a 30 gallon fermenter and trying to pour out the free run without getting 20 pounds of skins?

Just kidding! That really is a good idea. I'll give that a try next year.

Seems to me the strainer bag would stop up fairly quickly, depending on which one you use. Maybe a wire mesh might work even better. At least the wire mesh can be easily cleaned and put back in place.

I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks from all of us for the tip.

I like it. This should also work well for the "poor" people like me who siphon their wines.

Oh, but isn't it a lot more fun lifting a 30 gallon fermenter and trying to pour out the free run without getting 20 pounds of skins?

Just kidding! That really is a good idea. I'll give that a try next year.

Seems to me the strainer bag would stop up fairly quickly, depending on which one you use. Maybe a wire mesh might work even better. At least the wire mesh can be easily cleaned and put back in place.

I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks from all of us for the tip.

I forgot to mention that is why the paddle is in there, to scrape off the bag at times or you can do the lift and shake if you prefer that method
The plastic mesh is pretty coarse (around 1/16 size) I would have to look up the actual mesh size

steve

Last edited:
Yeah, come on Steve, that would alleviate the need for a Percoset!!! LOL I love anything that can be done with a vacuum pump!

I just took a few Percs 45 minutes ago and cant get myself out of the corner! Just kidding, I do take Percs though especially in the morning due to my back. That or Tylenol 4 or Vicaprofin. Or were you referring to the vacuum pump statement Rich?

I use the Mity Vac for that, much more finesse over vac control. LOL just kidding all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave my Mity Vac to my buddy but I guess I should ask for it back now that I think of it as I also gave him a Schucco vacuum pump and full set up afterwards!!!!

I wanted to show you how I was able to get most all of my 1st run using a vacuum pump, without lifting and very little mess.This is a 8'' potable water pipe with holes drilled into it with a strainer bag over it, just place the racking tube inside. Then I take a pitcher and dump into the press without the mess !!

what do you think ?
steve

Neat idea Steve. Just in time for my double batch of Zinfandel and single batch of Nero D'Avola.

that is this year frontenac grapes which I made into 6 gallons of 1st run and 5 gallons of port. I just opened up a 2009 frontenac tonight 1st run and it tastes great!!

steve

I use juice. But if i crushed grapes, i would use your system. There is nothing like good old american ingenuity.

I just wanted to repost this - considering it is that time of year for making wine from grapes.

Great idea and thanks for sharing Steve. Will do this on our next batch using our All in one wine pump.

Latest posts

Back