For pleasure or profit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put "amateur" in quotes because I know that many of you "amateurs" could take the "pros" on in head to head tasting!

By definition, the only difference between a pro and an amateur is the pro gets paid. Uh, big time college sports and the Olympics might be exceptions. :)

GreginND said:
While most people here are "amateur" home wine makers, there are several who are working on the commercial side. Some who are in the process of starting up wineries and some who are already open for business. Some who work at wineries. I think you have all walks showing up here.

And that's why I like it here. I'm learning something new every day. Thanks to all and I love my new winemaker hobby

Actually JS...in big time college sports, and the olympics...they do not get paid to play, are to participate.
They get paid by there endorsements.
A college quarterback can not be paid to play, but can take money on ads.
A Oympian can not get paid to hurtle, but they can take endorsement for the shoes they wear, in a timely manner.

jswordy said:
Oh please - Ayn Rand? For real? :D

I did not realize we could discuss politics on this forum. :)

"I wouldn't be so paranoid if they all weren't against me." - Maj. Frank Burns, MASH 4077th

This thread turned political as soon as someone mentioned ATF.

Actually JS...in big time college sports, and the olympics...they do not get paid to play, are to participate.
They get paid by there endorsements.
A college quarterback can not be paid to play, but can take money on ads.
A Oympian can not get paid to hurtle, but they can take endorsement for the shoes they wear, in a timely manner.

Um, I'm a former sports editor and I live in SEC country man. Tell it to someone who believes it. If you get a full ride to play football, yer getting paid in my book. And that doesn't count the cars, the free tutoring, or the time off from classes you get to play the game.

Um, if the US basketball team in the Olympics is made up of all pros, well... :)

By definition, the only difference between a pro and an amateur is the pro gets paid. Uh, big time college sports and the Olympics might be exceptions. :)

If you guys are paying football players at UT you sure ain't getting your moneys worth:)

If you guys are paying football players at UT you sure ain't getting your moneys worth:)

I live in TN and work in AL. The SEC as a whole ought to just come clean and say what is really going on, instead of this charade.

Until now it's been just for fun. But last year I bought a 12 acre farmstead and am in the process of opening my commercial winery. As a matter of fact my first 325 vines went in the ground yesterday. My plan is to get my licenses in place this summer and start making wine commercially this fall.

I wanted to share and I love the aspect if having a tasting room to share and talk about wine with folks.

Now that's what I'm talking about. You are where I'd like to be someday. Keep us updated on your progress. Best of luck!

Commercially. In Australia it sounds as though it is a little easier than in many states in the USA. If you do it commercially you have to decide do you do it from a cellar door or from markets/farmers markets (if allowed) etc.
Its not like the movies "If you build it they will come" cellar door sales are all about location ...location...location. If you build your cellar door at the end of a dirt road 10 miles from the highway don't expect a crowd.
That's why I chose the market route because your customers come to you, You just have to convince them to buy.
Will not go into any more detail but if anyone wants general guide lines on which way to go just ask although the legal requirements between our countries are different the same basic rules apply as to how and if you set up cellar door sales/market method of selling.

We are out the tasting room only, but we are in a historic wine making part of the WORLD, not just the U.S., so we have a small advantage over other wineries here in the states (not counting anything California). We have 3 wineries in Hermann that make over 50,000 gallons. Stone Hill Winery produces 260,000 gallons. We produce A LOT less than any of them. :) Still very young at 1 1/2 yrs, but growing. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_wine

I put "amateur" in quotes because I know that many of you "amateurs" could take the "pros" on in head to head tasting!

I will agree here, but there's a big distinction between pro, amateur and what we do (small timers). See, many "pro's" are making wine for profit, which means they worry about costs and have batch sizes that range (along with all the equipment). People at home don't have near the same pressure, cost per bottle and some of the other constraints that a commercial maker has. The large producers have big time wine makers, but they are making +1000 gallon batches with a range of fruit (not as picky about ripeness, etc), where you got people here using home grown fruit that is much more attended to. Now there are some big timers that have some insane planning and production capabilities, but nothing can match the very small, very well attended home wine makers that have a passion for what they do. It's just not possible to get that attention to detail with such large quantities. Then there are people like me (and many others) that have taken the hobby to commercial, but are not trying to go big. We can put more attention to the wine and have a little more control as to the fruit (easier to examine 800 lbs vs 8000 lbs). It's just about the scale of the operation. I would compare it to home brewers vs craft breweries vs large breweries (Miller, etc). You can have all the gadgets, gizmo's and $$$$$ of a big timer and produce wine like Yellow Tail (a brand which I actually do like, but as I said, the attention to detail cannot be matched when it comes down to batch sizing). There will always be good and bad of all kinds of wine/wineries, but it's virtually impossible to escape the batch sizing issue. This is why great wine made on any scale, cost major $$$ and more than likely, you could find a cheaper wine made on a smaller scale that is still better. JUST MY OPINION HERE.

Oh and the Tigers didn't do well in football, but with mostly transfers, kicked much of the sec's arse in basketball. Football will come around soon enough.

We are out the tasting room only, but we are in a historic wine making part of the WORLD, not just the U.S., so we have a small advantage over other wineries here in the states (not counting anything California). We have 3 wineries in Hermann that make over 50,000 gallons. Stone Hill Winery produces 260,000 gallons. We produce A LOT less than any of them. :) Still very young at 1 1/2 yrs, but growing. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_wine

I can understand what you are saying I live on the edge of the Barossa Valley where we have literally dozens of wineries some of them producing 1,000,000's of litres per year with perhaps 3 wineries in the same road. Can you imagine how hard it would be for a newcomer to start a tasting room /cellar door sales amongst that competition. Every year new people try it and 99% don't make it past 3 years and lose their money/homes/vineyards at the same time.

I can understand what you are saying I live on the edge of the Barossa Valley where we have literally dozens of wineries some of them producing 1,000,000's of litres per year with perhaps 3 wineries in the same road. Can you imagine how hard it would be for a newcomer to start a tasting room /cellar door sales amongst that competition. Every year new people try it and 99% don't make it past 3 years and lose their money/homes/vineyards at the same time.

Exactly why I am opening a winery HERE in ND where there are no big name wineries in competition. Just a friendly handful of small boutique wineries who all (well, most) want to work together to grow the local business. If I was in California or Barossa, I don't think I would make the move to licensing and selling.

Oh and the Tigers didn't do well in football, but with mostly transfers, kicked much of the sec's arse in basketball. Football will come around soon enough.

Thank you for educating me that besides football there is another lesser SEC game.

I Googled "basketball" and found it interestingly quaint. :)

Seems the colder and longer the winters get, the more people talk of this game called "basketball." :)

Mizzou doesn't care if they lose in SEC football. As long as the register goes "CA-CHING!" And when the SEC FOOTBALL fans came to Columbia, it sure did!

Hijacked again...

Exactly why I am opening a winery HERE in ND where there are no big name wineries in competition. Just a friendly handful of small boutique wineries who all (well, most) want to work together to grow the local business. If I was in California or Barossa, I don't think I would make the move to licensing and selling.

Sounds like you have the ideal location. I chose the other option, instead of fighting the big boys and their large budgets on their home soil I chose to do country and community markets. I do between 6 and 8 a month (sometimes more with specials markets and agricultural shows). You don't have to sit there hoping someone will come to you tasting room today. People go to markets. Most go to spend. What you have to do is convince them to spend their money on your wine. The rest of the week I am free to work in the vineyard, make wine, relax whatever takes my fancy

Latest posts

Back