floor corker question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris400

Reaction score
i got a new floor corker and just experimenting i used a old bottle and the cork that came in it ...it was a synthetic cork...... and i made sure i the plunger didn't go past the top of bottle maybe a 1/16 or a 1/8 inch and when i tried it i pushed the cork all the way in the bottle. im scared that this will happen with my wine when i bottle it this weekend another thing is i did wet the synthetic cork with kmeta spray do you think this might have done it?

question 2 is how do i get the cork out of that bottle ?

i got a new floor corker and just experimenting i used a old bottle and the cork that came in it ...it was a synthetic cork...... and i made sure i the plunger didn't go past the top of bottle maybe a 1/16 or a 1/8 inch and when i tried it i pushed the cork all the way in the bottle. im scared that this will happen with my wine when i bottle it this weekend another thing is i did wet the synthetic cork with kmeta spray do you think this might have done it?

There is a thread somewhere, using a plastic grocery bag, by inserting it into the bottle, blowing it partially up, and yanking the bag out, thus bringing the cork with it, if you line it up with the mouth of the bottle. Google it!

There you go:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMH0NrdfNE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLMH0NrdfNE[/ame]

Last edited:
i pushed the cork all the way in the bottle. im scared that this will happen with my wine when i bottle it this weekend

A lot less likely to happen.

When you cork an empty bottle, little, if any, air pressure is built up in the bottle (compressing a cork size volume of air compared to the volume of the bottle).

When you cork a full bottle, the wine does not compress, so when you cork it, you are compressing the volume of air in the neck of the bottle to 1/2 of its original volume. That doubles the air pressure, and provides resistance to inserting the cork too far. In fact, once you hit the level of the wine, the cork will not go any further. It may be difficult to remove a cork sunk that far, but it can be done.

When I got my floor corker I tested using a wine bottle that was full of water. Maybe that will help?

Ok i didnt think of that thanks for the replys .........how do yall adjust yalls depth before you started ....did you make it flush with the jaws or further down were the bottle stops

I make sure that the cork is pushed in about 1/4'' below the top of the bottle in case I want to wax the top of it. After that height id determined - then wrap some electrical tape around the adjuster nut and threads to prevent it from moving on you as you bottle.

Please tell us how your experience goes with the floor corker -

Great idea on the electrical tape on the threads! I had the pleasure of my 3 yr old grandson helping me bottle, and he seemed to really enjoy turning the adjusting nut when Grandpa wasn't looking! Dale.

i did wet the synthetic cork with kmeta spray

you may want to think twice about this practice. floor corkers are very difficult to clean under the jaws and over time any kmeta/liquid left behind will corrode/ rust your corker. with my new corker, only dry corks go in now. I use alcohol (thx Dan) to sterilize the corker and a corkador to do the corks.

cheers

Great idea on the electrical tape on the threads! I had the pleasure of my 3 yr old grandson helping me bottle, and he seemed to really enjoy turning the adjusting nut when Grandpa wasn't looking! Dale.
LOL, that is what you get for using cheap help. :h Arne.

Latest posts

Back