Fizzy wine problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I just had an ah ha! moment. The batch that has the most carbonation was bulk aged in my larger (6.5gal) carboy, yet I added the same amount of K-meta as the other batches. I know this would only be a small amount of reduction in SO2 ppm but perhaps it was enough.

If you put all red wines made from grapes or juice through mlf , you get microbialy stable wines that won't fizz in the bottle and are more complex tasting. Win win .

Well I have learned a lot in this discussion, thanks for all the responses.

I measured sg at .992 at the end of fermentation. At that point I stabilized with 1/4tsp of K-meta. An additional dose at bottling with one racking during aging to remove sediment. Why, because that's what I've always done.

So I will be investing in some testing kits and consider doing mlf on my buckets in the future. Better to make specific additions based on data rather than past practice.

Mike

With additions like these , it's possible your current free so2 levels are very low and if the ph is a little high , mlf is even more likely. 1/4 tsp in a carboy is 30-40 ppm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back