First Time w/ Buon Vino Mini Jet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyclk

Reaction score
Fedex delivered my mini jet today from midwestsupplies. I filtered 5 gallons of concord and was very happy with the results but i have a few questions if you don't mind answering.

1. It seems like the overflow tube put a lot of CO2 back into the wine. Do you guys usually degass again after you filter?

2. After filtering was finished, there were a few little white specks (for a lack of better terms) at the top of the carboy. I am hoping that this is just some of the filter pad that broke free but I am not sure.

Here is what I did, I soaked the filter pads in water for about 3-5 minutes then I "filtered" about a half gallon of water FIRST so that the wine didn't taste like paper. Then, I filtered the wine. Did I do something wrong?

I always degass before - filtering is my last step before bottling.

I never put the overflow back into the good wine - i will either put it in an overflow vessel or back into the wine to be filtered.

i also run 1 gallon of sulphite solution thru the pump - bypass the pads though.

I will sometimes find a few fibers from the pads - that is why i wait about a month after filtering before bottling.

I rack one last time - add k-meta in - and bottle.

Not sure what you mean "over flow tube".
The tube attached to the tray goes in a bottle. If you are talking about the tube thats attached to the filter pac then you dont have a good seal. Either tighten the 2 screws compressing the filters of push harder on the tube connections. I only get air in the very begining till the pads are free of air.

I dont have or use this pump so cant help you much but I can say its not adding any C02 to your wine as thats impossible, it can be adding 02n though and thats not a good thing so make sure your not getting a leak at one of your hoses.

my guess is the wine still had co2 in it . Did you make a mess? I did first time I filtered wine

I always put the overflow to the sink or a bottle. I always get less than one bottle. (perfect for sampling!!!!!) I only wet the filters, not soak them, and tighten them up as evenly as possible. If I remember right the two times I had a lot of overflow,#1 had the filter pads in backwards and #2 I plugged it from not racking off sediment first(had to wash walls after that one as it sprayed out!!). I do have to play around with the suction connection a bit at the beginning to ensure there are no leaks. Just some info from my experience that might help out.

Not sure what you mean "over flow tube".
The tube attached to the tray goes in a bottle. If you are talking about the tube thats attached to the filter pac then you dont have a good seal. Either tighten the 2 screws compressing the filters of push harder on the tube connections. I only get air in the very begining till the pads are free of air.

Yeah the tube that attaches to the drip tray.

Yeah the tube that attaches to the drip tray.

Well That wine is not filtered. So, you can do 2 things.
1 put it back in the unfiltered wine
2 drink it
I would not put that in the filtered wine

If you arr getting more than 1/4 bottle the filters need tightening or wine is not clear enough and the pads are full of sediment.

I always just throw out that drip tray stuff. There's never a lot of it and it usually tastes watery anyway.

Well That wine is not filtered. So, you can do 2 things.
1 put it back in the unfiltered wine
2 drink it
I would not put that in the filtered wine

If you arr getting more than 1/4 bottle the filters need tightening or wine is not clear enough and the pads are full of sediment.

Yeah - i never put that into the good wine - and i usually don't get that much from the drip tray - maybe a glass or two.

thanks for all of the replies. I think the white floaties were in fact from soaking the filter pads to long because last night filtered 3 more gallons and had 0 issues whatsoever.

I am glad you guys mentioned the drip tray tube going into a SEPARATE container because the illustration in the instruction manual show it going into the filtered wine.

Latest posts

Back