First Post and a Few Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woreign

Reaction score
Hello,

I started making fruit wine a few months ago when I received a 6 gallon starter kit. I'm not sure what prompted me to want to make my own wine, but I find the science behind the whole technique fascinating...

Anyway, my first batch of wine is a cranberry-pomegranate that I made from store bought juice. Everything has been going smoothly and according to plan. Yesterday I added campden and sorbate to stabilize the wine that is in a 6 gallon carboy. And today I added a flavor-pack, which I made by reducing 4 gallons of the regular juice into 1 gallon. This calculated out to be the same ratio of the 1/2 gallon jug of surplus wine that I added regular juice to top off with a few months ago. And this 1/2 gallon tastes terrific!

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. When I get ready to bottle in 4 weeks, do I need to add any more campden or sorbate?

2. The 1/2 gallon "topping off" wine that I'm enjoying now is slightly carbonated. Is there a safe way to add carbonation, or should I just be happy with a non-sparkling wine?

I also have a second carboy of pineapple-orange-banana that fermented quite quickly and has already settled and cleared. It's less than a month old, so I'm nowhere near ready to anything with it.

Sorbate is added only once per batch of wine. Sulfite (campden tablets are added about every 3 months so unless you didnt add the right amount to begin with I wouldnt add any more now. As a side note you should wait about a week before sweetening after stabilizing to let the agenst mix in properly and then another week before bottling after sweetening to make sure it doesnt start to ferment again.

Latest posts

Back