RJ Spagnols First Kit: Banana Pineapple Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an interesting assertion -- "...you won't ever break one". Makes me wonder what's wrong with me.
smiley18.gif
I think I need a second one for when...

Murphy's law of spare hydrometers:

If you order and have an extra on hand just n case you will never ever need it!
smiley29.gif

All except for glass carboys.

There is only two types of winemakers concerning this.

Those whom have already broken a carboy,

and

Those who are going to break a carboy........

smiley36.gif

That's why I bought 4, 6-gallon Mexican carboys from a guy this past weekend. I like the Better Bottles better (BETTER bottles BETTER - is that a double positive?
smiley32.gif
), but the Mexican carboys are closer to 6 gallons than other glass carboys, so they don't need as much topping up. I think I am up to 9 carboys now... I know that is not EVEN close to your record, Mike.
smiley36.gif

ibglowin said:
I only have 10........

Your closer than you think!

Yeah, but I only need one of the four new ones right now. I buffered up, looking a little into the future. I am planning on buying some fresh grapes sometime in the Fall. I got a good deal, so this way I am ready with several carboys.

I also got 3 of the smaller 6.5 Imperial gallon fermenters in the deal. I can use them for whites or to split a 6 US gallon red into two batches so I can try more than one yeast, then blend.

How did you find Mexican carboys! I am closer to Mexico than you and I look on Craigslist almost every other day and still can't find a Mexican carboy!

Good score and sounds like you have a good plan for the Fall!

Mike,

From the local equipment rental dealer I had rented a lawn aerator. I laughingly mentioned I wish he rented grape crushers and presses. He and his wife just happened to be moving and wanted to get rid of their wine making equipment. It was a good deal for them and especially a blessing for me.

I got brushes, bungs, siphon, hose, pretty much everything that comes in a basic starter kit. I even got a VinBrite filter and some new pads.

This morning I almost had only three carboys. I dropped one onto the bottom of the basement shower, where I was cleaning it. I could hardly believe it bounce all over that shower but didn't even crack.

Wow, good timing on renting the aerator!

Your going to love your vinbrite. It will make your wine sparkle for sure.

You need a rubbermaid shower mat in that shower!

The Mexican Carboys are obviously tougher than the Italian Carboys, probably from all that leaded glass they used!
smiley2.gif

Mike,
George has a video on how to use the Vinbrite. I'll take a peek at it soon.
I was surprised to learn that many of the higher valued wines aren't filtered. I'm not sure I want to filter mine, but it seems hard to rack that last bit of wine without getting sediment, too. Without filtering, I don't know how some on this forum can get 30 full bottles from a kit, but they seem to do it. Well, maybe they do filter; that is a good question to ask.

Leaded glass - is that why they quit making them?

No, I was JK....
smiley2.gif

I use good racking techniques, a sep funnel to save what most would just probably dump (let it sit for a day and separate and then add back to carboy) and the vinbrite just before bottling.

Even after doing all that usually more crud will drop out (especially on grape pack kits) between the time I use the sep funnel and the vinbrite.

I do what Mike is doing also. Sometimes I can even get an extra 750ml bottle out of it, but if nothing else, at least a 375ml bottle.

I rack multiple times, and never bottle from a carboy that has any visible sediment. The last couple of batches I bottled I used the Vinebrite filter immediately before bottling. Even if the wine looks perfectly clear I always seem to get some sediment on the filter pad.

PeterZ said:
I rack multiple times, and never bottle from a carboy that has any visible sediment. The last couple of batches I bottled I used the Vinebrite filter immediately before bottling. Even if the wine looks perfectly clear I always seem to get some sediment on the filter pad.

With how many bottles do you typically end up?

Maybe the key is to do what Mike does and pour the bottom lees through a good filter, let it set, then pour what came though the filter into the carboy. I know I tend to loose a lot at the bottom. I'll try that.

First, I have to start something. All my fermentor buckets are dry. Isn't there some rule or law that states the wine fairy will come and take away all fermentor buckets that have been dry too long?
smiley5.gif
Wonder if my wife will buy that?

Try this one
"If I start a wine it can finish and start aging and we can enjoy it faster."
Yes I know faster is relative with it comes to wine making!

I hope that it is OK to jump into this topic, but this is also my first BPV and I racked to a carboy 6 days ago and it seems to have cleared a little but not a lot. I added the clearing agents per directions (there was an insert that instructed you to change a step somewhat). I will give it more time but was wondering if this sounds normal? I do have a lot of sediment in the bottom of the carboy. Thanks for any help, John.

Mine cleared very fast, in fact the whole process went fast. The wine itself was almost clear after degassing and adding the reminder of the ingredients. I don't remember an insert changing the steps in mine.
Perhaps it still has too much co2 or the must temps are on the cool side?
BTW BPV + coconut rum =
smiley20.gif

My Banana Pineapple Viognier cleared really fast. I was surprised that even the next day after adding clarifiers, it already sparkled.

Hey Mike,

I made myself a sep funnel... well, sort of. I am surprised at how well it works.

Don't laugh:

Took a 2 liter clear plastic root beer bottle; drilled hole in lid and installed (flush) a valve. I used aquarium grade silicone to seal it.

On bottom of bottle I drilled a hole large enough to fit a #9 cork.

I fill the funnel from the opening in the bottom of the bottle.
Because the sides are tapered toward the lid, it works pretty well. I load in all the sediment and liquid from the very bottom of the racked container. I try to limit it to less than 2 liters, which the funnel holds.

After it sets awhile, I can see the sediment and where it stops. I let it all settle out for about 24 hours; turn the valve on and let it run until (1), the sediment is not visible anymore; (2), the wine is running clear.

I find that if I open the valve only slightly, the wine tends to run through the sediment and out first. So, I open it up all the way and shut it off quickly.

Since I started using it, I haven't lost much wine.

Thanks for telling me about your SEP funnel.

Latest posts

Back