WineXpert First bottling coming up, questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I am about to rack my Green Apple Riesling and Ice wine off the gross lees. The GAR is ready to bottle (per the instructions) but I may not be - this would be my first bottling. If I chicken out for a while longer and move to a carboy (bucause of uh time constraints, yeah yeah time constraints
smiley1.gif
) what wouldI use to top this up with? Same question with the Ice Wine. I racked my Piesporter for bulk agining a bit ago but used commercial Piesporter to top up.

Also, doI need to add more k-meta for long term storage at this point (1/4 tsp per 6 gal) or was the stuff I added from the kit enough?

If I want to filter, is this the last step the day of bottling or should I filter and then let sit for a day? week? more?

When back sweetening (not on these, but since I have you here, hehe) do I sweeten before or after filtering (wine conditioner most likely)?

I am about to rack my Green Apple Riesling and Ice wine off the gross lees. The GAR is ready to bottle (per the instructions) but I may not be - this would be my first bottling. If I chicken out for a while longer and move to a carboy (because of uh time constraints, yeah yeah time constraints
smiley1.gif
) what wouldI use to top this up with? Same question with the Ice Wine.
A good commercial Riesling (off dry or slightly sweet would be best) could be used for both the Green Apple and Ice Wine since it is the base varietal.

Also, doI need to add more k-meta for long term storage at this point (1/4 tsp per 6 gal) or was the stuff I added from the kit enough?

Adding the extra K-meta when you do this racking is a perfect time. I have made it a point to add the extra to all my kits now just to know I have the added protection whether they last more than 6 months for not.

If I want to filter, is this the last step the day of bottling or should I filter and then let sit for a day? week? more?

No need to wait after filtering to bottle it is your choice. Waiting at least 3 weeks after stabilizing and fining will produce a very clear wine and shouldn't require any filtering unless you want the added sparkle.

When back sweetening (not on these, but since I have you here, hehe) do I sweeten before or after filtering (wine conditioner most likely)?

Sweetening before filtering is best.

Thanks!

No need to wait after filtering to bottle it is your choice. Waiting at least 3 weeks after stabilizing and fining will produce a very clear wine and shouldn't require any filtering unless you want the added sparkle.

How do you get the 3 weeks of clearing? Do you stablize and fine and let sit on gross lees (my kits said not to rack off less before fining) for 3 weeks or would you fine, rack, and wait 3 more weeks in a bulk aging like mode? I am concerned about leaving the wine on the gross lees for 3 weeks, just because I don't know any better.

I stabilize and fine then let all my kits sit for at least 3 weeks before racking and bottling. Leaving for longer term >30 days I would rack off lees and top off.

Coaster,

I would agree with Masta.
After fining and stabilization, yes you are going to want to let it sit on the lees for three weeks.

The problem then is, what happens if you mess up when racking. I've knocked the racking cane into the lees before now, which then means I have to wait longer. As a result I came up with a plan.

Rack off the top 80-90% keeping the racking cane well above the lees.This part you can bottle or filter and bottle. That gives you 24-27 bottles of perfect wine.Once you're done with that you can tackle the remaining 10-20%.

Rack as much as you can without disturbing the lees and again (filter and) bottle. That might give you anything from a bottle to four or five. As soo as you touch the lees stop. If you filtering, that first touch won't affect the last bottle too much.

What ever is left, slightly cloudy as it is, rack until you really can't do any more because it is all lees. That bottle is your 'muddy bottom' to be added during stabilization on youre next round.

Peter
Edited by: peterCooper

Excellent plan there peter. I believe you posted this once before and thats what I follow.

I am planning on doing my first racking in 1-2 weeks so I appreciated all the info too. I guess I will wait that extra week since that would be 3 weeks of clearing. Thanks

Cleaned bottles, racked wine, filtered, bottled 26 bottles. Thanks guys. It was very messy for me. The K-meta seemed to make the carboy a littel fuzzy to look thru but I made sure it was well dissolved and crushed. I had ahard time with the filler I have.The tubing didn't fit well and even tied on tight it leaked but was better than doing it without a bottle wand. Prolly left half a bottle on the floor. The corking was by far the easiest part and went sooo fast compared to the other steps I almost blinked and missed it (floor corker with plastic "jaws"). About 5 hours total today to go thru all the steps including clean up but it was my first time soI had to come read some how-to's every now and then. I feel I left a fair amount behind the first time but I can use it to top up next time.

No pics yet, daughter had camera today.Edited by: Coaster

Thier is no better feeling in wine making than getting your wine in bottles....especially that first batch. Congrates bud!

Pete

I sometimes have the little leaking problem to. What I do is use a
bread tie and twist around the house really tight. that stops most of
it from leaking. We have to get hose clamps but I always forget when I
go to the autoparts store. It will go much faster for you next time.
Did you try any? how was it? It will get much better with age. Save a
few bottles for at least 6 months and repost.

I liked it, and better yet, my wife liked it. I'm going to try the bread tie trick next time. I used a thin piece of ribbon this time. We had the half bottle that was left over last night. I used the Vinator and chilled it for a day. It's sweet as I expected an Island Mist to be, and had a nice flavor. It has 11% ABV if Idid the math right and the F-Pack sweeted it back up to about 1.010. The bottles are sitting on the counter now. Why is it we store them upright for 3-7 days to and then lay them down? I know it has to do with leaks but it seems counter intutive that the cork remains dry to swell.

It allows the cork to initiate its proper seal and then we lay them
down to keep the cork from drying out and shrinking and losing its
seal. I do not belieave that you need to do this process with synthetic
corks but I am not sure as I have not used or read up on themt yet.

I had a heck of a time with my first bottling experience. I tried to bottle straight from the carboy and ended up with wine everywhere and the cane stirring up the sediment towards the end. It was just terrible.

Now I rack it into my primary with the spigot, put the primary on the counter, I put a short length of tubing on the spigot and slide the filling wand on the end of the tubing so I can just turn the spigot on and push a bottle onto the wand. It is so fast and easy. You only need one arm to fill bottles this way and the only wine I spill is if I don't pay attention to what I am doing. The bottles are clean when I am done.

Sounds like a good idea there as I just finally installed spigots on both of my primaries.

Back