First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!! I believe one more batch of pee is I order before my grapes are ready to harvest and then go into the primary!!!

Thanks guys!! I believe one more batch of pee is I order before my grapes are ready to harvest and then go into the primary!!!

I got 13 pounds of a concord/mustang grape hybrid the other day from a friend of mine. I de-stemmed them and placed in the freezer in 1 gallons bags. Now I'm all nervous since I've never made wine from grapes before. Make a post of your steps when you do yours!

Three months aging on the regular Skeeter Pee makes the acid fade a lot to me, enjoyed a glass last night.

Southlake, I will make a thread and post the progress! I saw where Todd fermented his grapes before he topped off with water. Is that necessary or can I go ahead and top off at the beginning? He also has a S. G. of 1.10 I believe. Is that a good number to start off with? I'll have a lot more questions as the time gets closer.

Finally was able to rack and back sweeten yesterday!! :D Hopefully, I'll bottling in a week or 2.

Congrats! From my understanding, you should use as little water as possible with grapes. As for sugar, just add till you hit whatever SG you normally shoot for in your wines. I've been too busy to start my batch. I spent too much time cleaning bottles I found In a wine store recycle bin (with too little progress to show for it too!). Oh well, hopefully I can get to it this week.

Thanks Southlake!! It looks like my grapes are going to be ready a little earlier this year.

Another question to make sure that I'm ready to start my first batch of muscadine wine. What ingredients, additives do I need? I have tannin, pectic, kmeta, sorbate, and sparkolloid. Do I need tartaric or acid blend? Thanks in advance!! :D

Depending on the acid level of your grapes, you will either need to add acid or calcium carbonate. I was told by FVW that tartaric acid is better for grapes (vs acid blend) if you need to raise the acid so that's what I have. I'm hoping to get my batch started this weekend...super nervous!

Awesome! Thanks Southlake!! Looks like I'm headed to my local winery to pick up a couple more supplies!! It should be soon!!

Why thank you!!! I sampled after after it had bulk aged for about 2 weeks after back sweetening. All I can say is I will be drinking mass quantities of this stuff. I already have another batch planned after my strawberry batch gets out of the primary. This stuff can be dangerous!! Lol. It's as smooth as water!

Latest posts

Back