First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
First batch of SP is underway!!!!! :D Specific gravity was 1.068 and I added 1/2 cup of sugar. Specific gravity after that was 1.074. I don't have a slurry so I am using a starter. Wish me luck!!!!

image-2520601216.jpg

Here is the pic of it right after it was poured into the carboy.

you better keep an eye on that or you will have a good chance of having a volcanco

There is a video on the skeeter pee Facebook page. The guy's name is Fo and he started his in a carboy. He didn't seem to have a problem. We will see though. Thanks!! I will keep the progress updated.

Lol. I know. I have already warned my wife that there is the chance it might get a little "active". I put a towel under it. I just hope it doesn't "project" itself past the towel. She won't be too happy.

Get a big garbage bag and set the carboy in it. just pull the sides of the bag up a few inches and if it volcanos on you it should be an easy cleanup. Arne.

Thanks Arne. I believe I am going to transfer my SP from the carboy to a bucket right before I pitch the starter. That should keep me out of the doghouse. Lol

Here is a little pic of my starter about 1 hour after I pitched in the EC-1118 yeast. Looks like the yeast is liking it so far. :D

I took a little video of it, but I can't post it here for some reason. :(

image-215554381.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Julie, how did the skeeter pee/ muscadine turn out? Was it red or black muscadines? I plan on using the slurry from my firsy batch of muscadine wine this winter. I will be making white wine.

they were red muscadine and it turned out very good, the color is light red. Do you know you can freeze your slurry?

No. I didn't know that! My starter doesn't look like it is doing anything right now. Should I give a shake or stir to wake it up?

when did you start it? Yes I would shake or stir it up

I started it yesterday at 2 pm. I gave it a stir this morning when I got home. Could it have already consumed all the sugar in the starter?

Yes. I could see on the side of the mason jar where the krausen had come up almost to the top. The starter was real cloudy. I transferred my SP to the bucket and pitched in the starter. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I was wrong about the lids for the primaries. They don't have the ring on the bottom. Sorry. :'( The starter smelled like raw dough though. Is that normal?

tatud4life said:
Yes. I could see on the side of the mason jar where the krausen had come up almost to the top. The starter was real cloudy. I transferred my SP to the bucket and pitched in the starter. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I was wrong about the lids for the primaries. They don't have the ring on the bottom. Sorry. :'( The starter smelled like raw dough though. Is that normal?

Glad to see you moved it to a bucket, see how much the starter foamed up.

Ok. I'll give it a couple of days and see if it takes off again. Yeah. I don't want to spend the next few weeks on the couch. Lol

I pitched the starter about 40 minutes ago do I'll have to wait to see if it starts back up.

The foam really takes off when you add the mid-stage nutrient and energize. Make sure you stir the gas out good before adding them when you get to that point.

Cool. Thanks whiskers!! Here is a pic of 40 minutes after I pitched the starter. There are a small amount of bubbles forming in the middle. I hope this is sign of things to come. I also hope you all can make out the bubbles in the pic. Lol

image-3727267117.jpg

Latest posts

Back