First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiousity, aside from the initial S.G. reading, how do you know for certain what your ending alcohol content is? Do you take a S.G. reading right before you bottle it?

Take your initial SG and subtract the SG taken after fermentation is complete (but BEFORE you backsweeten). Multiply the difference by 133 and there you have it.

So, for example: initial SG = 1.085, final SG = .996; difference is 0.089; 0.089*133 = 11.837. So your wine is 11.8% ABV.

Checked my batch this evening when I got home. S. G. Was 1.051 so I'll wait until morning to add the rest of the stuff just to play it safe since this is my first batch. I know it's working it's little butt off because this was waiting one when I opened the lid. :D

image-1903648666.jpg

It had a brown tint to it, so I am pretty sure that the yeast is doing its job. Not to mention the fizzing sound it is making.

Yeah, those little fellas really emit a lot of C02. On the ferments without a lot of foam on top, the swirling on the surface can really get busy.

Yeah. I checked the S. G. again this morning and it was still a little above 1.050. I went ahead and added the rest of the nutrient, energizer, and lemon juice. Getting closer to the drinking time.

Checked my first batch today. I added the rest of the nutrient, energizer, and lemon juice yesterday. I gave it a good degassing and checked the S. G. It was 1.040. At that rate, it should done fermenting by Monday. That would mean that it took 6 days to ferment dry. Is that normal? Or is that a little slow?

That's near what mine does, but mine do seem to slow down at the end and sneak up on dry.

Ok. Just wanted to make sure this was somewhat close to what others were doing. Thanks buddy!!!!

Check my SP last night. Specific gravity is 1.030. Right on track to finish fermenting by Monday. I had to take a tiny sip last night. Just couldn't wait any longer. This stuff is going to be absolutely wonderful!!!!!

You are about to get there, I need to bottle mine and get another batch started.

Yep. Checked it again today and it was 1.022. I hope it's not slowing down. After I get it oh of the primary, I'm starting a batch of triple berry pee.

Checked my batch today and the S. G. was 1.015. A couple of more days and I should be able to move it to a carboy and clear it.

Just checked my skeeter pee. S. G. is still above 1.000. It is 1.010 which is only .005 lower than yesterday. A little frustrated, but it due time I guess.

I just can't wait to drink this stuff for the first time!!! My mouth is watering right now!! Lol

Argh!!!! Checked my pee today and it is still at 1.015!!!! The same as yesterday! Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone? I'm starting to get a little nervous that there might be an issue.

Hmmm. I'd think you'd be dry by now. What are your temps like? Have you tried giving it a little nutrient?

It has been 72 degrees from day 1. I put the 3 tsp of nutrient when the S. G. got 1.050. I don't know what to do.

Just wait. You're plugging along just fine, don't try to rush it. My 2 batches are still fermenting as well.

Latest posts

Back